Where were all the birds?

The birds that normally visit our garden were conspicuously absent this weekend. We saw very few on Saturday and none at all on Sunday. We have a medium-sized garden in a market town, quite near farmland, and have seed feeders, fat balls and nyger seed and penuts available. Where were all the birds?

• We actually did ok this year, usual suspects of pigeons, starlings, collared doves, blackbirds, siskins, chaffinches, greenfinches, goldfinches as well as the odd tit, even a pair of redpolls came. We think we had a lot of visitors as we had all the trees in the garden pruned the day before and they couldnt feed so went mad on Saturday to stock up. The finches were knocking each other off the four perch feeder most of the morning!

• @Lil-Robin, I think you may have a point.  Because my garden isn't very good (too many cats around!) I always do the birdwatch in my local park, which has quite a lot of woodland.  This year I got 11 species, compared with 29 last year.  However, 11 was probably 10 more than I would I would have seen at home.