2 People Watching?

This is the first time I have taken part and I'm sure this question must have been asked before, so I apologise before I start. I have as many birds in the front garden as I do at the back but can't see both at the same time, how can I cater for this? If my wife and I count separately and compare notes at the end we are likely to double count. The only way I can see it can be done is to yell out to her what I can see at any one time and vice versa, and one of us make a note of the total. This is obvoiusly totally impractical! Has anyone else found a way of doing it?

• Hi Barley and welcome to the Community from me.

Here's my suggestion. First of all don't forget it's the maximum number of each species that you see at any one time during the hour not the total number of birds. You and you wife could make separate observations of the front and back garden. You could then see which one of you has recorded the maximum number for each species and use that figure for your return. You obviously shouldn't add the two observations together. I don't think in that way you would be double counting.

I don't speak for the RSPB who may have a different view.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hello TJ,

Yes, that was my first thought, but I was trying to overcome the almost certain UNDERcounting

• Hello Alan,

Yes, but that way we'd almost certainly double count.

Thanks,

Barley

• TJ has offered a practical solution which I think is the only way you could incorporate both of your gardens. However, I think lots of people have the same dilemma. My suggestion to simplify things for everyone is to select one of the gardens for the hour and focus your attention there.

Sure you might miss one or two birds but remember this isn't a head count of every bird in the UK, it's about trends within a certain space and time.

Try not to get too weighed down in the technicalities. Pick your garden, find a comfy perch or leaning spot, get a pen and paper, tea and biscuits at the ready, plus bin's and camera if you want, and see what happens over an hour! Good luck.

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Barley said:
    Yes, that was my first thought, but I was trying to overcome the almost certain UNDERcounting

Well it might, but short of buying walkie-talkies so you are in constant communication all you can do is your best. In the greater scheme of things it's not going to be significant when your results are combined with records from all over the country.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream