no greenfinches

As I reported yesterday, I had a few birds like blackbirds, starlings and robins in my garden, but not the variety I had last year.  However this morning I walked over the field about 100 yards from our house and was so pleased to see lots of goldfinches, some chaffinches, dunnocks, and blackbirds in the hedges confirming that they are still finding plenty to eat with no need to come into our gardens.

However no greenfinches and I cannot remember hearing their distinctive call at all last year.  I think I read about a virus which was killing them - could this be what is happening here in Bedfordshire?  I do hope this is not the case because their call is one of the joys of a warm spring/summer day.

Linda

• Yes I think goldfinches are doing quite well at the moment we often have over 20 visiting one nyger feeder on a daily basis , and also a healthy population of redpoles also visit now.

I have been wondering for a while (with concern) about the lack of the noble greenfinch which is actually one of my favourite small birds, so your comment explains why their numbers are so reduced a little. Their call is as you say very pleasant compared to the annoying yap yap of the goldfinches and redpoles.

• I live in Knighton Powys Mid Wales and I've seen a few Greenfinches around here. I only had one sighted in my hour of the count but today saw four on my feeders :)

Judy Kennett

• I'm in Wiltshire and I also have 4 visiting (and trying to hog!) my feeders :-)