Mutually exclusive birds at birdfeeder

I've had the pleasure of a mixed flock of blue, great and coal tits on the birdfeeder for most of the winter. However for the last few days they appear to have gone missing leaving a "hole" in my usual great Birdwatch count. They have been replaced by a flock of siskins. There are a number of feeders so I woundnt have thought that there was inadequate perch space. Just wondered if other observers had noticed one flock of birds being similarly displaced by another. Are they fussy whom they mix with?

A few years ago I had a single male Blackcap that was determined to guard the feeders against all other feeding birds.

Billm - Central Lancs. 

• Hi Bill, welcome to the forums!

I've not noticed that myself over the survey weekend, the feeders were dominated by house sparrows alone! Here at the Lodge the feeders seem to be attracting a mix of birds, each species sticking to its favoured soruce of food with very little mingling. One way of catering for different flocks of birds is to spread the feeders around, having peanuts and fatballs in one area for the tits and seed mixes with nyger and sunflower hearts in for the finches. You might get some birds that switch between the feeders but you could then cater for both aggregations without causing conflict if their visits coincide!

Warden Intern at Otmoor.