Watching paint dry in a London garden?

I'm not a 'birdwatcher' but I do like to see what birds are in the garden probably on a daily basis through the day.

The sitting down for an hour of dedicating bird counting did give me a different perspective on it.

Firstly I found it quite relaxing & even meditative.

Secondly I did see birds that I wouldn't have seen normally I guess mainly because I saw them fly into a tree and knew where they were which I probably wouldn't have by just glancing at the tree. Its unusual for me to see a bird in the garden which I've not seen before. So I was surprised when I watched a plain looking bird fly into the tree & be very well hidden but  using binoculars  it turned out to be a greenfinch something that wasn't on my usuals list.

Also some birds flew into the tree and out again within 15seconds so its unlikely I would have normally seen them.

So The Birdwatch for me has put some gloss on birdwatching & may result in some 15min dedicated tree staring sessions.

• Hi David, that's great to hear, i'm sure the tree staring sessions will be well worth it! What was your list total in the end? It is amazing how much goes on undetected in the garden habitat despite our familiarity with our own gardens.

Talking about unexpected garden visitors, the male blackcap i observed during the hour was a complete surprise, the last time I saw a blackcap in the garden was the previous winter when the weather was brutally cold. I'm left wondering if it has been using the garden all winter and i've not been observant enough to notice it before!

Glad to hear you have seen a greenfinch, they have declined in recent years so it's always great to hear them, their wheezy call isn't everyones favourtite but I can think of worse things to listen to!

Warden Intern at Otmoor.