Sparrowhawks

I'm part of a Friends group that looks after a small, but richly biodiverse Local Nature Reserve in Colne, Lancs. We did our Big" garden" Bird watch here  taking a West end and an East end. We were delighted, but also a bit wary, when we saw a pair of Sparrowhawks. We know at least one and a Kestrel have been seen in the past. But a pair suggests breeding. So we are a bit concerned for our smaller birds.We were also delighted to see pairs of Bull Finches.

• Yes they will take birds, but that's what sparrow hawks do and all part of 'nature'. It's red in tooth and claw.

• This is true.  I have two photographs in my hall way.  One is of a juvenile sparrow, not long out of the nest.  Fluffy feathers and still with the remnants of the beak it was hatched with.  Right next to it is a photograph of a Sparrow Hawk having its lunch with a sparrow.   Both photographs were taken within feet of each other.

Fortunately the sparrow hawk doesn't appear very often.  I think the sparrows have the measure of it, swooping on the feeder a dozen at a time even though only three of them can feed.   Confuses the sparrow hawk as to which one to go for with so many to chose from.

Stuart