Sparrowhawk

I heard the familiar panic-rush of birds as they dived for cover and the sparrowhawk landed behind the hedge.  I didn't actually see him/her so I felt I couldn't enter it onto my birdwatch list.  I don't think he got any prey that time.  Ten minutes later there was an almighty thump into the glass window of the conservatory (we do have big RSPB stickers up to stop this happening) - I rushed round to find the victim & there was the sparrowhawk, crumpled into a heap, panting & looking up at me in terror.  I was just about to pick him up to keep him safe until he got his wits back, when he managed to get up onto his feet & fly up onto the roof of our bungalow, where he presumably stayed for a while to recover.  I was so glad he wasn't seriously hurt because they are such magnificent birds - even though he was ruining my birdwatch figures by making everything else stay hidden! On reflection it was a good job I didn't pick him up because he could have torn my hands severely.

Three hours later I looked out of a different window, wondering why there were still no birds around, & there he was, staring back at me from a branch.  I went out of the front door & 'chatted' to him for quite a while.  Suddenly a blackbird nearby uttered an alarm call & the hawk swivelled his head 180 degrees to check it out, before turning back to listen to me. The hawk eventually got bored & flew off, allowing the little birds to come out for a quick evening feed.

Anne Eves, Burgess Hill, Mid-Sussex

• Hi Anne and welcome from West Lothian, Scotland. I'm glad the sparrowhawk recovered. I have stickers on my back windows and move them every time I clean but still hear the thuds. I think it's the angle of the sun.

• Sounds like quite an exciting day, Anne.  I also had a sparrowhawk today.  It arrived after my Birdwatch hour, but it was an incredible sight and was only the second time that I have seen one in my tiny garden.  It sat in the small tree before taking a drink from the bird bath and then leaving.  I've just checked my bird box, which is fitted with a camera, to make sure that the roosting coal tit was not afternoon tea!