Few birds in garden

Hi been reading all the posts about few birds in garden and I'm in the same boat. Normally go through bags of seed and fat balls but hardly any this winter. I have read its the mild weather, but in summer I normally get lots of birds visiting, isn't there just as much food around then.? I can't understand if there is plenty of food available then and they still come to my feeders -why aren't they coming now!! We have feeders at my work place which is only about a mile from where i work, and as soon as we put food out there are loads of birds feeding, ------- maybe some of them are from my garden!!!!!
  • Hi thanks for the speedy reply. Just can't believe how few birds have visited my garden. Used to love looking out and seeing the different varieties of birds on the feeders. Just have to wait for a cold snap!!

Thank you

• I'm the opposite, I have never seen so many different species of birds. They are at my feeders all day long.  I live in a town (Southampton) but have a few large trees close to my garden. Between me and my neighbour we do provide them with a good spread!

• Hi I am in Cambridgeshire and there seems to be a good head of birds (sometimes) with massive feeder interest and then gone again.  I used to think this was because I had two cat that seemed to know when I was bird watching but have lately noticed that this happens even when the cats are curled up infront of the fire.  I am inclined to think that since there has been a big breeding and release programme of Buzzards and Red KIte around this area whether or not it has something to do with the sporadic appearances as often these preditors can be seen but oftennot but feel sure the quarry is aware they are around.

The usual notice I get is when the flocks of Crows goes on the attack and mobs the preditors

• Mine garden was dismally quiet today and has been for a week or so now.  I re stocked on sunflower hearts for my 30 or so goldfinches and today had to throw some away in the feeders uneaten.

Sarah

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bramble67/