BGBW What was you Star Species?

It's all done for another year, at least for me.  I got the usual suspects and no more, so I have I've awarded my star status to the Goldfinch - they came out in force for me, and I didn't get any last year.  I got 8 species last year, 5 this year, and only 2 of these were on last year's list - interesting.  Which species was the star for everyone else?

Annie

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.

Einstein

• Big buzz for me was the Red Kite mania. I live in the Chilterns and i counted 36 Red Kites and 6 Buzzards all swooping about and heckling some crows.!

• Ten minutes in my local Sparrowhawk did a couple of fly-by's - all went quiet for 15 mins or so then the chaffinches returned followed by greenfinches who were then jostled away by a rowdy horde of 32 raucous starlings all fighting for fat balls and some left over digestive biscuits! This bunch gave the others courage to return (I like to think) and we got 16 species in all in the hour. Pleased as this was our first time.

• For me, it has to be the two dunnock's which are recent regular visitors to our garden. They're a personal favourite of mine :)

• Only 3 species for me this year, male blackcap, 15 house sparrows and the stars for me we robins x 2 one of which sang throughout much of the hour, happy days!

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Hi, All. The stars for me were the Goldfinch (7), though we usually have at least 10 here, last year none appeared & the Pied Wagtail, only an occassional visiter, but he turned up in time, so he was the best for me.:-)

Best wishes

Val.

• Very excited - a redpoll. Never seens one in my garden before. Seems lots of poeple have seen them this winter in Surrey. A very welcome new visitor.

• My garden was full of surprises when I did the watch this afternoon! The highlight was 3 stunning male bullfinches, 2 of which hung around for a good long time, feeding away. Then, another surprise, 3 blackcaps passed through, 2 males and a female! They didn't stay very long, but both blackcap and bullfinch are species that I've never seen in the garden before.

• This is the 1st time I've actually taken part, what a great way to spend an hour !!! The stars of my watch had to be the 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, seeing them on my bird feeder is FAB, other favourites are  Reed Buntings and the Long Tailed Tits, amongst these I had the usual Chaffinch, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Blue Tits, Robins, Blackbirds, Dunnocks etc, but never seem to have any Sparrows in my garden?? I'll definitely be taking part again next year

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46352772@N03/

• Star species for us were the 20 plus chaffinches and single marsh tit. 1 of our usual 8 long tailed tits put in an appearance and 2 sickens but none of the goldfinches and nuthatches we saw last year.

Clare

• Well, we had 19 species, but all of them regulars.

I guess the star has to be a male Great Spotted Woodpecker, but for the last couple of weeks he's been coming at least 3 or 4 times day so he counts in with the other regulars now!

The sparrows have been hurtling around from bush to bush to feeder to bush and back again, with their usual noise. I recorded 13 although we are sure there are a lot more than that, but they don't stay still long enough to count!