All prepared and can't wait!

I work 8 to 5 during the week so I do not get a chance to see what is actually eating all the goodies that I am putting out. I normally refill all the feeders on a Saturday, but this week, I have been topping up my bird feeders and ground feeders in preparation for the BGBW when I get in (in the dark).  The ground fedeers have been completly emptied everday so I can't wait for tomorrow to actually see what is eating all the tasty morsels I have been tempting them with. The favourites of which are meal worms and sun flower hearts covered in beef suet.  I have a feeling that it maybe a pair of rather greedy Magpies!

Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me why the BGBW takes place in January?

• I don't know the answer to your question, Maria, but you may get a surprise at the weekend. When I was working, I would put out food in the dark and return home to empty food trays. At the weekend, I was too tired to get up first thing and would fill up the trays at night so I could grab some extra sleep.

When I retired and caught up on my sleep deficit, I found the woodpigeons, jackdaws and rooks were the main beneficiaries and the other birds were chased away or stood back waiting for leftovers.

• Hi Maria,i can't answer your question either.I have no idea why we do it late January and maybe  one of the mods may tell us.I suppose i thought it was because of winter feeding and birds that come into our gardens in winter, that otherwise wouldn't.

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• That is what worries me, I have so many small birds normally visit the hanging feeders, including a pair of Nuthatches and Blackcaps that are very timid.  Maybe the ground feeding dishes will need to go?

• I have lots of small birds Maria especially Goldies and always have done.The Woodies and Collared Doves are fine and can't use my hanging feeders but do help clean up the ground and apart from the breeding season frenzy every year they all manage fine.

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• I have on solitary Gold Finch, it has been coming into the garden for about 3 years now, I thought they were a flock bird?  The Magpies can be quite scary though so I would rather not encourage them.  They also raided a LTTs nest that was in the garden last year!

• Come the breeding season Magpies come in for the eggs and young, as do the Corvid family but we have never had a problem with them outside of that and i never encourage them either Maria.The hawk visits all year round though ,and feeding birds will always pose that problem too.Goldies usually travel in good numbers.We can have up to 50 here at one time and we only have a small garden now.Back home a 15 minute drive,and a large garden, i couldn't get them to visit and like you had one visitor , but it was ringed so probably an escape.It is all down to where we live as this is my 4th home since i married and each one has brought its own set of birds :0))

• It will be a first for me, got the sheet my chair is all ready, food al out, just hope for loads. Alan

always many sides to an argument

• This is the first year I have put feeders out, it all started with me trying to get the birds to come to my feeders rather than my neighbours(a friendly rivalry)  I am hooked now and am always peering out of the window trying to spot different birds.  I get very excited when I see a new one.  I live in a town but we have a few large fir trees around so I am very lucky that I have the variety of birds that I do.

• I will be starting my Sunday morning at 6 am, as a normal one.We have a full english breakfast then on this one Sunday patience,ha ha.Lunch break for home cooked roast dinner then a last afternoon hour when feeding begins again.As we have a glass or two of wine we have to be vigilant ha ha.:0) Good luck to everyone :0)

• Just checked the forcast for Southampton, looks like is going to be dry and cold.  Hopefully ideal for birds!!