Newbie to RSPB and Birdwatching :D

Hi all :)

I've recently joined the RSPB following a visit to an open day held in Inverness.

I'm from the north of scotland and am getting addicted !! Just days after putting up a bird feeder holder  in my small garden, I have attracted a Great Spotted Woodpecker (never seen one before!), gold finches, blue tits, starlings and the usual garden visitors. Trying desperately to attract some Woodpeckers back as I only ever saw him visit the once :(    (However it was a Sunday afternoon, so hopefully he is still visiting but during the day while I'm out at work. Bring on the lighter evenings so I can enjoy watching them.

Anyone else getting Woodpeckers visiting or any ideas on how to attract him back?

Linnie x

• Hello and welcome!

When i had green woodpeckers, they really enjoyed suet cake and balls.

Junior Humble! 

"it is not only fine feathers that make a fine bird" ~ Aesop

• Hi Lynnie and welcome to the forum! For a new birder you are in a great part of the country, surround by a good number of RSPB reserves with lots of amazing wildlife!

Daniel!

• Thanks for everyones replies. I'm really excited about my new hobby & seeing a Woodpecker for 1st time. Our house is surrounded by woods so going to take part in the Big Garden Birdwatch and hopefully get Mr WP back into my garden! Also had a buzzard on my washing line! lol. nice meeting you all x

• Thanks for directing me to that doggie, fab pics!! still trying to find my way about this site.  

• Hi lynnie,welcome from the West Midlands,this is a great place to be,such friendly helpful people,I get anything up to 4 WPs they like the fat balls,I also got a dead branch and drilled some holes in it and filled it up with home made seed cake made with suet and seed and peanuts and filled the holes with it and then hung it on a post

Roger

• Thanks for that Roger. Your right, everyone is so nice on this.

At the RSPB open day (that got me hooked on this new hobby! lol) the RSPB man was showing us how to make them.  I've gathered the big branches just need to get round to preparing them. Will get a move on now, in the hope it will attract the WP's. Thanks :D

• hi and welcome we regularly get woodpeckers and if you look at photo i have put on photoes,as well as peanuts they tend to go more for the half coconuts filled with suet,nuts fruit etc.this photo was taken last year,and they are regular visitors,wether one will turn up next weekend when i do my hours watch we will have to see.good luck with your watching. maggie.

• Hi Linnie,

I've recently joined the RSPB too and am still finding my way around.

I live in Hampshire and am a garden bird addict (watcher and photographer). We have several Great Spotted Woodpeckers who visit our garden on a daily basis and they are one of my favourite birds. They are attracted by anything with suet in. I make up my own half coconuts (with suet, sunflower hearts, chopped peanuts, dried mealworms and some fruit (e.g. a few cranberries). It works out much cheaper than buying them and they are packed with goodness. Mind you, I had to buy shop ones initially to enable me to gather a collection of  empty shells as I couldn't find anywhere selling empty shells. I hang the shells on a tree close to the house and they feed there quite happily.

To ring the changes, occasionally I buy the peckers other suet treats from the shops.  Below is a picture on a fledgling Great Spotted Wookpecker feeding on one of these last year.

There is a shortage of natural food for them at this time of the year so I think if you put of some scrumptious goodies they will hopefully find it and become regular visitors.

Good luck.

• Sorry Linnie,

Last sentence should read:

There is a shortage of natural food for them at this time of the year so I think if you put out some scrumptious goodies they will hopefully find it and become regular visitors.

• Fantastic tips and pictures everyone. Hoping he comes back to my Garden Watch/Count this weekend. Thanks again, I have to say this has become my favourite bird. I was so excited to see one feeding in my garden. He'll be back ;) lol