Finch on Shoulder! Ring tag number 0303

Augest 2nd finch came an sat on my shoulder!, Not sure whet type but had patches of reddish/ pinkish on chest, seamed only young. Also had brown ring on leg number 0303 I think! If anyone is tracking bird was in CB1 area, would be great if he turns up again somewhere, Id like to know, Also if anyone has any info to share,Many Thanks

• Hi Djonc,

Your bird may be a Linnet! The British Trust of Ornithology (BTO) are the best people who can help you with regards to ringing birds, they would be very pleased of your information,

You can contact them from their homepage, just type BTO into google and it's top of the list, on the homepage there is a place to report ringed birds sightings (It's half way down the page on the right hand side of the screen) Also on their site you can find out why birds are ringed and what info this gives to conservation.

I wouldn't mind a Linnet landing on my shoulder!

H

• I get linnets by the dozens here, i've never seen on that's ringed though.

I was told once that they don't come into town gardens, let alone garden seed feeders but they most certainly do !!!

You can hear and see them throughout the town too.

• I would say it's far more likely an escapee, wild birds don't generally come and land on your shoulder. The ring number could be a keepers identity ring.

You can report the bird here.

http://blx1.bto.org/euring/lang/pages/rings.jsp?country=EN

Try and match it to the examples, if it doesn't fit it will be a keepers ring

It's both what you do and the way that you do it!

You cannot fly like an eagle with the wings of a wren.
    William Henry Hudson (1841 - 1922)