garden Bird watch

Retu rning from a week away on Saturday 4th I was disappointed but not surprised that my great tits  have 'fledged' and hopefully  flown successfully  away  .My garden is quiet save for the  house sparrows  continuing to sit and sing on my deceased apple tree.

2 robins (male) have kept  flying into the garden seeking food...  plus the odd coal tit and blue tit and my usual blackbirds both male and female- but sadly I have not seen any  thrushes this  season.

I have 2  daft wood pigeons whose attempt to nest in my fir tree was aborted by the high winds at the end of April, still visit sitting on my fence seeking scraps- and I have  a couple of doves descending periodically onto my apple tree along with the chirupping dunnocks who are the only  viisitors in numbers ie '4' plus flying  through the bushes.

Is anyone eles garden virtually deserted compared to  8/9 days ago?

• Still lots of house sparrows and the blackbirds are still about, both nested recently and will probably try again before the end of the summer. Pretty quiet otherwise though. On the other hand loads of ladybirds and pondlife out and about, plus a good number of bees so not all bad!

It does tend to quieten down a bit in mid to late summer, nothing to worry about, they are hard to spot when they want to be and the leafy summer foliage gives them much better cover so they will still be around just not as obvious as they were at the start of the breeding season!

Warden Intern at Otmoor.