NEW TO GARDEN TODAY

FIRST TIME SPOT TO OUR GARDEN TODAY WAS A MALE AND FEMALE BULLFINCH. WHAT A FANSTASTIC SIGHT THE MALE BULLFINCH WAS, SUCH A BEAUTIFUL COLOUR.

• Wonderful, one of my favorites, we do see the odd ones in and  around the bushes on the lakeside , but they are very quick to get a good photo.

But I will keep trying if and  when I'm successful,i will post it in the Gallery.

regards Mick

Work is for those people that don't Bird-watch!!!!  

• Wonderful news we have many about in the copse and hedgerows but in the four years of living here they have not been in!! wondering what feed you use??

kind regards the little robin (gayle)

• Hi,

I am new to the forum here & hope I am not replying in the wrong place but saw your question "wondering what they eat" I just moved in to Chester Le Street and for the first time have a garden where birds visit.

It took a week or two of having feeders up but now I get bullfinch male & female daily.

They love eating sunflower hearts and absolutely love fresh water. They seem to be the only two that really relish a bath.

Hope that helps?

Lauren.

My days in the garden would be empty & sad without the birds and their beautiful song. I'm worried that one day I will be alone in that garden when all he birds have gone.

• Hello Lauren I too am new but i'm sure we will find our way around : ) thank you very much for the advice I will sure give it a try, when we first moved here we did'nt get any birds as previous owner's did not put feed out!! It took time but eventually different birds came in and still do it's wonderful to watch them and share my garden with our feathered friends!! So lovely that you have a garden that gets visitor's, I was talking with a friend who took part in the big garden bird watch who lives a very short way from my old home and it amazed me that I only got starlings and friend got so much more even though just a stones throw from where I used to live!! One thing I know is that they had mature trees and shrubs where mine was quite new and did'nt have any plants or trees until I planted some!! once again thank you : ) 

kind regards the little robin (gayle)

• Hi Lil- Robin,

You are more than welcome! I too used to live somewhere quite new build and get no garden visitors even though behind me was a nature reserve with lots of wildlife. Its funny and it doesn't guarantee they will come to the garden. Luckily I now back on to a bit of woodland & daily Im counting new birds. Need a better camera though for some amazing photos, my finepix will get me nowhere fast :)

Take care,

Lauren.

My days in the garden would be empty & sad without the birds and their beautiful song. I'm worried that one day I will be alone in that garden when all he birds have gone.