Where have all the wrens gone ?

Not seen any wrens for a few weeks, noticeably absent from my Garden Hour (although a Goldfinch did grace us with an appearance)  and from my walk in the park (best view of Goldcrest ever).

I noticed from the postal reminder that the wren is not listed on the common birds tick list, has it gone under the radar or is it a deliberate ploy to make us search more carefully for little Jenny ?

Presumably the snow has taken a heavy toll, I look forward to seeing others results.

• Agreed. No wrens.Usually are a couple. Sad

• When we moved into our present bungalow in 1988 one of the first birds we saw in the garden was a wren.  Every year since then we've seen a wren in the garden, although it's sometimes several months between sightings and we've only ever seen one wren at any one time. 

• simon m said:

Not seen any wrens for a few weeks, noticeably absent from my Garden Hour (although a Goldfinch did grace us with an appearance)  and from my walk in the park (best view of Goldcrest ever).

I noticed from the postal reminder that the wren is not listed on the common birds tick list, has it gone under the radar or is it a deliberate ploy to make us search more carefully for little Jenny ?

Presumably the snow has taken a heavy toll, I look forward to seeing others results.

simon m said:

simon m said:

Not seen any wrens for a few weeks, noticeably absent from my Garden Hour (although a Goldfinch did grace us with an appearance)  and from my walk in the  as well (best view of Goldcrest ever).

They have gone from my garden as well.  Pittenweem Scotland

• I was fortunate enough to spot two wrens at the same time in our garden ( I could hardly believe my luck!) a couple of weeks ago. However, only one put in an appearance during my hour of surveying yesterday. We also have a goldcrest but haven't seen it recently - hope it hasn't become a casualty of the severe winter weather.

• I have seen a couple of wrens recently, though i rarely see them where i live in NW London. A couple in Scotland and one on an Oxfordshire farm last week

• Still no wrens - not seen any for two years now. Indeed there seems to be a general decline in the numbers and in the species of birds - when we first came here in 1975 there were about 30 species of birds and now there are barely a dozen. No treecreepers, nuthatches, owls, crows, wrens, cole tits, long-tailed tits, fieldfares, yellowhammers, greenfinch, even the sparrowhawk has not been around lately.

However, a delightful and fit-looking pair of foxes turned up to eat the bird food....