Please don't use nets for food!

I see from the photos that a lot of people are putting out peanuts and suet balls in nets. While it is great to see people feeding birds, these nets could actually cause some serious harm to birds, as well as other wildlife, and are also environmentally unfriendly.

Reputable bird food suppliers do not sell food in nets. The RSPB have long taken this stance, and businesses like Chapelwood do not, to my knowledge, sell any food in nets. There is plenty of evidence that nets can trap birds by feet and legs, or by the mouth for those with serrated bills.

Use only sturdy metal feeders with tight-fitting tops (to stop birds getting inside) and keep them and the food spotlessly clean to avoid spreading diseases.

A lot of people have jumped on the bird-food bandwagon recently in the hope of making a quick buck, but they do not have the welfare of the birds in mind - please avoid stores and suppliers that sell food in nets.

Thank you :)

• omg i use netted balls....but will stop immediatly

• After reading your advice i have now removed mine from the nets and added them to cage feeders,i am trying to help my garden birds not  trap and cause them discomfort ,so thankyou for the information

jay

Sometimes in the wind of change we find our true direction (unknown)

• s polky said:

I see from the photos that a lot of people are putting out peanuts and suet balls in nets. While it is great to see people feeding birds, these nets could actually cause some serious harm to birds, as well as other wildlife, and are also environmentally unfriendly.

Reputable bird food suppliers do not sell food in nets. The RSPB have long taken this stance, and businesses like Chapelwood do not, to my knowledge, sell any food in nets. There is plenty of evidence that nets can trap birds by feet and legs, or by the mouth for those with serrated bills.

Use only sturdy metal feeders with tight-fitting tops (to stop birds getting inside) and keep them and the food spotlessly clean to avoid spreading diseases.

A lot of people have jumped on the bird-food bandwagon recently in the hope of making a quick buck, but they do not have the w

A lot of people have jumped on the bird-food bandwagon recently in the hope of making a quick buck, but they do not have the welfare of the birds in mind - please avoid stores and suppliers that sell food in nets.

elfare of the birds in mind - please avoid stores and suppliers that sell food in nets.

[/quote]

• s polky said:

A lot of people have jumped on the bird-food bandwagon recently in the hope of making a quick buck, but they do not have the w

elfare of the birds in mind - please avoid stores and suppliers that sell food in nets.

[/quote]