BGBW

I love doing the birdwatch survey, its interesting to see if there are any different birds in the area compared to last year , this year I have 15 long tailed tits every day on the feeders and a Peregrine Falcon comes to see whats going on and sits on top of the bird table,its worth getting cold for.Now I have started to dig the veg patch (when weather allows) the Robin comes every time waiting for me to dig some worms up for him.

I have been buying the dried mealworms for the birds but they dont seem to want them, not even the Robin eats them, anyone else found this?

Roger

• We too had found there seemed to be little interest in the meal worms. But we have continued to leave some out and lately a single pied wagtail has been coming to get some. At least - we thought it was a single wagtail until yesterday, when a second one flew in and chased the first one away. Now we are watching carefully, as they are slightly different, to see if we can spot which one is there.

• This is my first birdwatch survey - it was good to actually sit down for an hour with the focus on the birds.  I haven't been in this house for long either.  It's near a stream and I was hoping to see the moorhens again but no luck.  Maybe they only come in the garden looking for food when it's really cold (like December).  But I did see a coal tit which I've not seen at all before: very exciting!

No experience with mealworms but I did put peanuts out and none of the birds took any interest even for a week or two.  In the end I scattered them on the ground.  As they disappeared I expect the squirrels took them.  Buggy nibbles, however, are extremely popular.  Mixed seeds less so.

“She decided to free herself, dance into the wind, create a new language. And birds fluttered around her, writing 'yes' in the sky.” ― Monique Duval