Black Cap

Is it unusual to see a Black Cap in a garden in Fife in January? The bird in question has been spending about half an hour a day in the garden for the last five days feeding and perching in the nearby hedge between feeding sessions.

• they are common in my garden down in torquay i get 2 males 2 females it is lovely to see them in the garden .

• Yay, my little male blackcap was the first visitor when my Watch began!! I also got an appearance from my occasion GSW visitor but sadly my other specials, a group of redwings, did not show  up for the event!

Willow. 

• Hmmm, I'd thought of my blackcaps as winter visitors as that's when I see them here in Devon. However I see from my RSPB Complete Birds of Britain and Europe book that they are seen all year round with an increase in the UK over the winter months. I hope that answers a few questions.   I'm lucky enough to have regular visits each day from a male & female around this time of year - nicely timed for the Big Garden Birdwatch.

• Hi, I have had blackcaps over winter here (Bristol in the City) for several years.  Sometimes just passing through, but last 2 years one has appeared several times a day for months. Usually males but we have the occasional female.  They are lovely birds - I think of them as 'elegant'!

• Unknown said:

Yay, my little male blackcap was the first visitor when my Watch began!! I also got an appearance from my occasion GSW visitor but sadly my other specials, a group of redwings, did not show  up for the event!

Willow. 

Couldn't believe my luck yesterday....just started the BGBW hour and for the first time in fifteen years had my first sighting of a male Blackcap on our fat ball feeders...Woo Hoo!!!! In Yate South Glos.

• We've had black caps in the garden for the first time this winter, two females and one male, (the male never at the same time as the females!).  They spend their time on the ground, clearing up from the sunflower seeds dropped by the goldfinches.  They are here almost every time I look out of the window (here being a small village garden in East Devon).  There is an excellent article in the February issue of Devon Life on black caps by a local ornithologist.  Apparently we now get two different lots of black caps.  In the spring they come here from Spain and North Africa, and depart in the autumn.  In the autumn another lot come, this time from Germany, and they overwinter in the UK.  Apparently the author considers that there is definite genetic development going on here!

• We're in Bristol & currently have a pair of blackcaps in our small Redland garden.  I've been told there are two migrations - one winter & one summer - coming from central Europe & N Africa/S.Europe respectively.

Our pair are incredibly aggressive to smaller birds - tits & wrens especially.  Robins seem to stand their ground OK & even see off the b/caps at times.

• ChristmasRose said:

Hi, I have had blackcaps over winter here (Bristol in the City) for several years.  Sometimes just passing through, but last 2 years one has appeared several times a day for months. Usually males but we have the occasional female.  They are lovely birds - I think of them as 'elegant'!

hi, just to say had a couple of blackcaps visiting my garden in north devon since december, they have never visited other years!

• It will be interesting to see the results of the survey regarding blackcaps.

• My first siting of a Blackcap ever !

Christmas day while washing up.  Picking at seeds dropped from feeder.  Stayed for about 3 mins only but it was a first. Also had my first Redwing on same day !

The secret is staying healthy !