Complete this statement... 'When I do Big Garden Birdwatch, I hope to see...'

...long-tailed tits.

They have to be one of my favourite birds, and I really hope that I get a family of them during my hour birdwatch :)

Get all the latest news fromYnys-hir - the home of BBC Springwatch 2011!

• ... something other than starlings and house sparrows :-)

We get lots of them but only a few other species.  Still I've never sat & watched for an hour at a time so I have high hopes!

• One person's bread and cheese... I have no starlings and no sparrows but both should be filling my garden with their chatterring. I envy you, but in contrast, I do have hosts of blue tits and great tits, magpies, a pair of jays and on good days, woodpeckers. This is why the Birdwatch is so important. It reveals species hotspots. Enjoy your hour and I hope you find it both rewarding and revealing.

• Ltt`s are certainly a joy to watch. I  can have anything from about 5-12 which come on the feeder everyday. They are a creature of habit like most garden birds but unlike the Blue tits, Great tits etc, they seem to come around every hour or so. A few of my neighbours always have food out for the birds so I think naturaly they patrol the area.

Life is like Photography

We develope from the negatives

More pictures here. http://u8photography.fotopic.net/

• Long-tailed tits have just started to appear in our garden so hope there will be more.  And I hope to continue seeing the moorhens wandering up from the stream.

Having moved to the edge of the city with a view of the countryside, earlier this year,  I have started to get keen on garden birdwatching.

“She decided to free herself, dance into the wind, create a new language. And birds fluttered around her, writing 'yes' in the sky.” ― Monique Duval
  • ... a cassowary (now that would be something, a resident population roaming wild in South Yorkshire).

More realistically I hope for a tree creeper. The only one I've seen in my garden was about a week ago. I just got about 30 seconds viewing in before it disappeared. So that is currently my garden's rarest bird.

• Yeah!  A few long-tailed tits but the moorhens kept away today.

“She decided to free herself, dance into the wind, create a new language. And birds fluttered around her, writing 'yes' in the sky.” ― Monique Duval
  • ... all the birds enjoying the food.

Just love to see & hear them, whichever species they are. But what would really make my day? It varies, currently I'd love one of the local woodland Bullfinch to pluck up the courage to visit the feeders or for a Yellowhammer to visit, only saw them twice last year..

Also always enjoy seeing the local Peregrine but a swoop from him doesn't exactly fill the song birds with confidence!

If you can't do conservation for the animals, then do it for your kids.  AnnMarie - naturesuniverse.com

• ...no Sparrowhawks!! Whenever one has visited the garden before then the area becomes like a ghosttown with no birds whatsoever.But,then again who can blame the birds for not wanting to visit at that particular time...Best Regards,Dave...

A life without our feathered friends is a life full of sadness and sorrow.But,that doesn't apply to Magpies,Parakeets,Pigeons and Starlings!!

• Nuthatch or a bullfinch would be great. I know nuthatches are around as they visit gardens three roads away, but they don't seem to like my garden.  I have loads of feeders out, but they don't come.

Toadflax.

• ...any of the slightly less common birds I've seen and know are here, or if I'm really lucky, one I've not spotted before.

I've just finished my watch today and there were a few that I didn't see but had hoped for, particularly a  nuthatch, tree creeper, or G.S. Woodpecker. However, I did have a couple of long-tailed tits visit, and right at the last moment a firecrest came through, which was a real joy for me. I'd caught a glimpse of one (or it might have been a goldcrest) about 11 months ago but not enough to be completely certain of what I'd seen. Today's sighting was better and I even got the binoculars on it, so I'm almost completely certain it was a firecrest. Quite lovely.

What a shame, then, that when I filled in my report for the Big Garden Birdwatch, the firecrest is NOT in either of the lists. I had to satisfy myself by recording the sighting in a box for birds not included in the watch. What a shame, it's very disappointing to be told it's not going to be included in the results and it makes me wonder how it's decided what is or is not included, and why anything would be left out at all.