Unknown Bird-identity please.IDENTIFIED AS A CANARY.

I have just put two photos of an unknown bird in the 'gallery', the first photo gives background. The bird is similar size to a Sparrow and has similar patterns on the wings/back, but its head,chest and tail are different.

Any comments would be appreciated.

• Looks like some naughty bird has been playing away from home. Could it be a PIED FLYCATCHER.They have similar colouring. and markings.

crazy Nana

• I have just joined the group and have seen your photos.  I would suggest they are albino sparrows.  We had them in our garden for quite a few years and they eventually died out.  The other sparrows did not treat them any differently at all, which quite amazed me.  I wonder if these birds react to what they look like, or maybe smell!  We also had albino blackbirds, quite a few of them and certainly a talking point.

Hope yours still appear next year, whatever they are.

Best wishes from Joan

• Hi Ray

I would suggest that the beak is the wrong shape for a Pied Flycatcher, this bird has more of a Bunting or Sparrow shaped bill; I would tend to agree with Joan that this bird is an albino Sparrow, I did think it might be a Snow Bunting in some stage of moult but I am sure it is the Sparra.

Nice spot though these variants are always good to see.

Regards - Adrian

Regards Adrian.

• Hi Ray,

It looks like a leucistic house sparrow to me - have a look at my avatar to see one. It isn't albino as it is only partially white and doesn't have the pink eyes.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr