Big Garden Birdwatch 2015

Glad to say that I have greenfinches visiting my bird feeder at the moment after many years of not seeing any and a goldfinch (hopefully a pair), which again has been absent from my garden for a few years. To top it all, I saw a song thrush on the lawn this morning and I have not seen one in the garden for a couple of years. Things are looking up in South Gloucestershire!
  • mommaj said:

Then I'm not sure why they haven't! Is there birds they don't like??? I put out Niger seeds and they don't get eaten x

Try putting out sunflower hearts. My Goldies prefer them to niger seed and they are also popular with most other garden birds.

• We have sunflower hearts out.. ill see and hopefully they just don't know our garden is here lol x

• Once they find your garden you'll be rewarded, I'm sure!

• Where they live thought, I have seen quite a lot of them. 6/7/8 at a time, same again for green finches. My garden minutes away I get the Bull Finches :)

• It's possible that they have sufficient food sources already. Maybe they will seek out new food supplies once they have fledglings. I'm sure they will descend on your garden soon enough.

• :) possibly. The hedges etc are becoming rich in growth. Its the pigeons that seem to be enjoying the garden so far..... Even my pheasant is well behaved and eats in the spot i've always put him in x

• I call him my Pheasant but he's not! Although h always makes me smile when he sees me and races as fast as his legs can to come say hello ad find his seeds x

• I love the wildlife in my garden ,i have 2 seed feeders an a Nut Feeder,i also put crushed nuts when the Tit Mum brings her young an i have a Banana Tree at bottom of Garden that i also have a seed feeder hanging from branches,

So i do quite well with the birds but latley im having problems with Cats an nothing apart from the Grass Sprayer seems to have a afect but then i can,t go an Gardening due to me being wheelchair bound an my wheels just grind into the mud,

So its a no win situation at min but i,d welcome any advice on Deterents from anybody

At night i have to Hedgehogs ive named Harry+Hilda Male+Female that live in the large Hedgehog House ive named The Hedgehog Hilton Hotel,

they each have there own feeding bowl of Nuts +Dog Buiscuts an a bowl of water each to wash down the supper lol x

• I've bought a cat scarer which I've bought which is the only cat scarer recomended by the RSPB and also sold by them, although made by an independent company of which you can buy elsewhere as well. It works by giving out a high frequency sound of which only cats can hear and it works either by battery or from the electric mains with a waterproof cable and I think if I can remember it cost me about £55.00 and so far it seems to have worked for me.