ANNUAL BIRD-COUNT I'M IN :)

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and have registered once again for the annual bird count......I am surprised however at the results of the house sparrow and starlings, I have loads of the little tinkers all year, not just now as it getting colder, but all year...I have fledglings from my little feathered friends every year, so was shocked to see the outcome. Is it only in certain parts of the country or UK wide. Cheers
  • Hi hope you don't mind, I have just looked at your photo's on Flickr, they are fabulous x

• Hi Gaynor and welcome from me in West Lothian. I also have got plenty House Sparrows and Starlings coming to my garden. It's such a shame that they are in serious decline elsewhere.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• We've a bird count too on the 25/26 january. We had about 40 greenfinches in today so if they hang around that'll be a good start. I'll have to increase their rations. LOL

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Evening Gaynor and welcome from me too (in Cheshire)  I have plenty of different birds visiting the garden but unfortnately no sparrows or even starlings although I have seen them a just couple of miles away.  

I will also be participating in the Big Garden Birdwatch at the end of the month so it will be feeders full and a batch of raw cheese pastry which most of the birds love ..... you should try it out on your sparrows  !!    

Regards, Hazel 

• Welcome from me in Berkshire, Gaynor.

Until about 3 years ago Sparrows had disappeared from my garden. I think someone locally put up a Sparrow terrace and now I see up to half a dozen but they are by no means numerous.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi Gaynor and welcome from Mitcham in Surrey. I rarely have more than one or two Sparrows during the Winter months (same with Starlings) and then come mid-May they descend on the garden and the place is a chattering mass of brown feathers until about October when they disappear once more. If the BGBW took place in May, I could put a total of 100 House Sparrows. As it is, the total will most likely be zero.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)