• London Climate March 2015

The climate talks in Paris between 30 November and 11 December will be the most important in several years, attended by world leaders from 130 countries. They will (hopefully) result in the finalisation of a new global deal designed to combat climate change after 2020. Countries contributing to 90% of global emissions have been asked to submit a pledge to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and most have done so, reducing…

• Residential volunteering - go and find your next adventure!

This summer I took a week out from my holiday to take a residential placement at South Stack in Anglesey. This is my second residential volunteering and after I enjoyed my time in Blacktoft Sands last year immensely, there was no questioning that I’d...
  • My Local Patch - Lizzie

My local patch - The Forest of Marston Vale Not being particularly close to an RSPB reserve, my favourite place to enjoy nature is the Forest of Marston Vale, located between Bedford and Milton Keynes. My interest in nature and conservation largely...
  • Sound in the Deep - What Oceans Mean to Me

Grey seal photo by Nathaniel Dargue. The sea. The ocean. The deep. Whatever you want to call it, the oceans of the world are vast, mind-bogglingly beautiful and undeniably important. Perhaps one of the most fascinating things about it is that we know...
  • Mallorca Birding Travel Diary

My stilt painting, inspired by field sketches This year, I went abroad for the first time! I went to the island of Mallorca, Spain... and it was absolutely phenomenal. I had a ridiculous number of lifers - over 40! And now I have a thirst for Mediterranean...
  • Hen Harrier Day

9 August hosts Hen Harrier Day which takes place the weekend before the start of the grouse shooting season. I’m sure you’re aware of the event but it’s a day of celebration and peaceful protest where like-minded people join to advocate...
  • Local Patch

Despite the fact that I live as far from the Sea as is possible in the UK and there are no particularly notable habits around me, my local patch is surprisingly varied and interesting. RSPB Otmoor is my nearest nature reserve but as it’s around...
  • My Local Patch

Willowbeck - my little patch. My local patch is not in the middle of the countryside. It doesn’t have a serene babbling brook where only dippers can be seen bobbing on the rocks scattered through it. It doesn’t have a pristine, native woodland...
  • Why the curlew depends on the EU Nature directives

Here's a blog post from one of our committed and knowledgeable Phoenix Forum members, Ben Rees. The curlew is one of the UK’s largest breeding waders and is an iconic bird of both estuary mudflats and of wet moorland. Its distinctive down...
  • #VisionsforNature in 2050

What do you think the world will look like in 2050? Will governments have taken notice of voices around the world calling for an end to man-made climate change? Will carbon pollution from fossil fuels have ended, ensuring that the world’s temperature...
  • My Wildest Camping Experience

Last summer, a group of friends and I set out on a big camping expedition. Our destination: a festival in Cornwall. After the 5 hour drive from our hometown to the beautiful cliffs of Watergate Bay, we were excited for a weekend spent listening to...
  • Unusual camping spots for this year's Big Wild Sleepout

Camping always makes me feel like I’m going on a big adventure! Whether I’m setting up for a back-garden sleepover, heading over to a music festival or going to a campsite, there’s nothing like spending time with family and friends in...
  • Borrowed Wings - why do we love birds?

Watching a House Martin Colony at Staithes, while bewildered coast-goers stare. . . Why am I watching a rock-face?? Although Britain is, in general, a nation of animal lovers, we have one extra quirky twist: we have an obsession with birds. But...
  • For the love of…

Climate change is affecting the things we love and something needs to be done to protect them. ‘For the love of…’ is a campaign by the Climate Coalition. They are trying to encourage people to learn about how climate change will affect...
  • Hidden Gems - Wildlife Species in the UK Often Overlooked

There are some species in the UK that are completely overlooked, or often, shrugged off as common or even pests. These are the species you never see on posters, or the front cover of nature magazines. The species smeared with the term “common”...
  • Green Week 2015 – the chance of 50 million lifetimes

3-5 June 2015 was Green Week, a conference and ideas pool held by the European Commission at the Egg Conference Centre in Brussels. It’s the kind of chance that not many people get, let alone teens – but Forum members Leanne Tough and Meg...
  • The World Needs Durrell

“The world needs Durrell”. This is what David Attenborough said about Gerald Durrell - the author of dozens of wonderful books and the founder of the Durrell Wildlife Park. Last weekend, I went on a trip with my college to Jersey, to...
  • Bluebells and Picnics

The sun is finally shining, Eurovision’s finished and exams are (almost!) over - what better time to relax by enjoying a picnic surrounded by the British herald of spring, the bluebell? But our native bluebell is under attack from the (imaginatively...
  • What does the election result mean for nature?

In one of the more close-fought and engaging elections for several years, it was somewhat a shame that nature was placed fairly low on the agendas for most parties. However, as naturalists and nature enthusiasts, this is something we have come to expect...
  • What's at the bottom of the ‘ocean’?

It’d be great if I could walk down my road, take a scenic picture of the sea and write a riveting post about what’s just there on my doorstop… Yet I live in landlocked Northamptonshire and I’m not an up and coming marine biologist...
  • World migratory bird day 2015

World migratory bird day, which is on the second weekend of May each year (this year it’s on the 9 th of May), was created to turn the world’s attention to the wonders of bird migration and the need to conserve it. This year’s theme...
  • Little things to Make a Big Difference - Climate Change

Climate change. These days, its two words you hear almost every day. The problem is, although it seems a depressing subject, it's something none of use should ever ignore, especially the younger generation, as it's now up to us to try and fix...
  • Nature-tinted spectacles

“Connecting people with nature” and having “outdoor experiences” are high on the conservation agenda. It’s absolutely right that we prioritize these things, as we know the health and social benefits of being outside. Without...
  • My Top 5 Nature Books

1. Nature's Child - John Lister-Kaye This is my favourite nature book to date, and John Lister-Kaye is my favourite nature author. The best part about this book is that it shows John’s understanding and respect for the importance of a...
  • Waiting for that one bird

Picture this. Dad and I drive to an industrial estate in Corby, Northamptonshire on the 13 th March to park in a pub car park. It’s a pretty chilly and uninspiring afternoon. But we know we’re in the right place. There are men stood on the...