What do you think the world will look like in 2050? Will governments have taken notice of voices around the world calling for an end to man-made climate change? Will carbon pollution from fossil fuels have ended, ensuring that the world’s temperature has not risen above 2 degrees? Will natural biodiversity have increased with a reintroduction of species and space for wildlife to flourish naturally, or continued on its current trend leading to more species extinctions?

Here at the RSPB we thought we’d tell you some of our positive visions for nature in 2050. Why not tell us yours? Tweet us @natures_voice under the hashtags #wingbeat #VisionforNature.

Maurice Tse Laurence manages digital communication with children, families and teachers at the RSPB’s Headquarters. This is his #VisionforNature in 2050

‘We have developed a much closer and more harmonious relationship with our countryside. Small holdings producing seasonal food on a sustainable basis are once again widespread allowing vast areas of monoculture farmland to become mosaics of hedgerow and wildflowers (alongside crops). We have allowed the forests to return on our uplands which are no longer intensively grazed but inhabited by reintroduced lynx and in the larger northern woodlands, wolves.

Our cities run on green energy, and electric public transport and cycle networks make the air in our cities much cleaner. These cities have green corridors running through them to improve everyone’s well being through contact with nature and provide wildlife with a haven and a way of moving safely. Energy comes from well placed renewable power and nuclear fusion which produces no fumes except water (it can be done if we invest in it!).’

Maurice’s vision includes a reintroduction of UK extinct species              

Photograph taken by Tom Lord at the UK Wolf Conservation Trust.

Jack Plum is the editor of the RSPB youth magazines, Wild Times and Bird Life. In May this year A Focus on Nature ran a series of blogs leading up to the general election. This is Jack’s #VisionforNature taken from that website

'At night I sit at home in my living room, lit dimly by the sun’s remnants captured that day; a day filled with sound and life, spent roaming our city home with friends and family – captivated. Some sounds new and some old, heard from tree and bright water. Life seen long ago and still here, and life once lost – but not forgotten – now back again for a second chance.

It was my generation that remembered when life’s peril was our lifestyle, but our children were brought up in a place like this. Now they have children of their own to inherit it. Inherit hard work and innovation from a time of desperation, almost realised too late. Policy, technology and education now flow with nature, and not against the current; not encroaching but encompassing.

Cities and countryside were connected and life flourished nationally and globally. A common agenda emerged through advocacy and a change in priorities. Youth led the way. Young empowered voices as raucous and loud as the rainforests and seabird colonies they wanted to save.

This is my #VisionforNature. It is a vision that is driven by renewable energy, with nature-rich cities that are sustainable and connected nationally and internationally with nature reserves and agricultural expanses. Biodiversity is maintained, and enriched with re-introduced species, tactfully undertaken to restore a balance that has been lost to intense farming, uncompromising industry and a lack of understanding. Most importantly though, it is a future where education in environmental concerns and their importance is a part of everyday life. Instilling a deep connection with nature from a young age develops a sense of why it matters, and this is critical in achieving my #VisionforNature.’

Jack’s vision is driven by renewable energy

Photo taken by Duke Energy

James Harding- Morris is the school and projects coordinator at The Lodge. This is his vision

'In the year 2050 the national curriculum will give science education its due position as core subject to primary education, along with literacy and numeracy. This will give children a deeper understanding of scientific method and broaden their analytical skills, allowing them to understand and interpret scientific evidence surrounding key issues such as climate change.

School sites themselves will be transformed in light of the discovery that green spaces have a positive impact on mental health and wellbeing, especially those children with ADHD. These future schools, with their trees, shrubs, orchards and meadows, will act as a fantastic educational resource. What better way to learn about habitats and lifecycles than to examine the ones right outside your classroom walls?'

James’ #VisionforNature includes the introduction of green spaces within schools

Photo taken by Loren Kerns

Paul Birmingham is the families development manager here at The Lodge. This is his #VisionforNature in 2050

My children will be approaching their 40s in 2050. I’ll be 69.

I don’t expect miracles. Huge parts of the world are developing and change takes time. However, I do hope we at least have a clearer vision, more sophisticated models and certainly global buy-in for living alongside the natural world with the right balance.

At 69 I’ll hopefully be rebalancing my own life of course – saying goodbye to the nine ‘til five and contemplating getting closer to nature myself. As for my kids, hopefully they’re a part of the solution and looking ahead with optimism for their own children.

Paul wants his children’s children to be able to enjoy the natural world

Photo taken by Gido