I like it when everything I want to see comes out of the woodwork!

What with the less than sparkling weather we've already had this week and the slate grey skies which hung over our part of the world yesterday I wasn't altogether sure if heading to Minsmere was a particularly good idea - especially when it tried to snow on our arrival!  Events, though, were to prove my fears unfounded.

I got a few snaps around the Visitor Centre feeders before we headed off into the wilderness:

What a lot of pheasants we have.  They are very expressive, too.

This robin gives its usual determined look.

A dunnock pauses before heading under the feeders to clean up.

'Will I ever get a space on the food?' wonders this blue tit.

Our first port of call was the Wildlife Lookout as the most frequent sightings of the recently arrived smews as well as the great white egret were in this part of the reserve.  On the way there, though, we got a nice surprise:

I always enjoy seeing the red deer about.  There was a second one but it was feeling camera shy!

When we reached the hide it was very quiet, bird-wise:

This could well be the reason why!

All excitement broke loose when this stunning bird appeared near the pool behind the hide!  Sadly, this was as close as it got.

This cheeky crow was in the mood to treat us all to some harrier-style flying.  It had some of the people in the hide going until it reverted to its usual rippling wingbeats.

Even more excitement broke out when Limpy announced this otter!  It was the dog otter and he wasn't in the mood for posing, sadly.

This pair of swans were clearly getting fruity - and the expression on their faces suggested they didn't want an audience!

Swans are brilliant.  They really know how to flounce off in style.

More excitement broke out as the smew pair arrived.  They didn't stay for long but it was lovely to watch them.

Shortly after the smews left we headed to Bittern Hide, where a most appropriate bird appeared:

It's a pity this bittern wasn't feeling pesky as I would have liked it to flaunt itself for us.

After a short while we headed back to the Visitor Centre for lunch - and then it was time for Island Mere Hide.  After parking in the disabled layby we headed through the woodland, where this bird made its disgust clear on finding we had no food for it:

Nothing strops quite like our National Bird.

There was plenty to see when we reached the hide:

A lovely teal pair.

Incoming mute swans.  Did I ever mention I love swans?

A marsh harrier floating over the reedbed.  There were at least five of them about.

One of four goosanders.  This one was too hungry to pose.

The common gulls abruptly decided to leave en masse.  There were hundreds of them!

'What did I say?' asks the lone Caspian gull.

An incoming cormorant.

Mr Shoveler leads his harem in a mass shovel across the mere.

This beautiful grey heron was floating about very obligingly.

The little egret decided to stay well clear of its bigger relative.

Mrs Mallard clearly relished herding her suitors.

We eventually decided to head home, but the sightings weren't quite finished:

As we walked back to the car this curlew flew over our heads!  

What a great day we both had!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.