The last day of January was grey ............

.............. but this is Minsmere, and you should never assume that grey means dull!  Certainly our birds and wildlife don't let the conditions stop them from the important business of being seen:

Wigeons are brilliant at being bright spots on the otherwise grey water.

Herring gulls are born posers.  This one had the enormous good taste to make sure I could capture the waves behind him.

Looks like the gull has started something!  The next bird to pose against the surf is this lovely dunlin.

The ringed plover sits calmly as the sea crashes behind it.

Nice to get them together.

The Godfather ponders whether to leave his comfy perch and give a flying demonstration.

It's staggering to think that such an abundance of wildlife coexists with this massive, steaming thing on their doorstep.

January is never too early to demonstrate battleship mode.

It would have been nice to have some sunlight to make the most of Mr Teal's head but he's still a lovely looking bird without it.

Lately I've been going out on the reserve with one of our most knowledgeable guides.  This is David and he's a walking encyclopaedia on birds, as well as a lovely human being!

Yay!  For once I managed to snap the wren.

A blackbird in classic 'stroppy' pose.

Every so often one of our ravening monsters demands to be snapped.  I couldn't resist this brazen pose.

Three red deer.  Don't you just love those heart-shaped bums?

I hope you enjoy these.  There'll be some flight shots following soon!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

Parents
  • From the snaps with the crashing waves you may have gathered it was quite a windy day, which is always good news if you want to see lots of birds in flight.  It must be said (and Limpy agrees) that I might have got a bit carried away!  Bother is, though, when there's so much to see your finger just keeps pressing that button:

I was pleased to get this common gull - I don't get flight shot of these very often.

These greylag geese announced their arrival to everyone in earshot!

Wow.  That's a lot of snipe!

Herring gulls make flying look so effortless.  Who could tire of watching them?

Happily the Godfather did leave his comfy perch and gave us a demonstration of the sheer magnificence of great black-backed gulls in the air.

Watch out below!

When you see this gull at full stretch it's easy to see how they can be confused with ospreys at a distance!  Two very different, but equally impressive, birds.

Even the immature birds are worth watching!

It's almost a shame that its beautifully patterned feathers will be that very dark grey in the not too distant future.

It's almost inevitable that the local crows will join in when any flying fun is to be had.

Two distant barnacle geese.

I can never leave out the subtly gleaming cormorant!

One of our most impressive wingspans .......... the stunning grey heron.

It's always lovely to get a raptor and this obliging marsh harrier will do more than nicely.

A spot of low flying!

Finishing with the starlings' impressive way of saying good night!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• From the snaps with the crashing waves you may have gathered it was quite a windy day, which is always good news if you want to see lots of birds in flight.  It must be said (and Limpy agrees) that I might have got a bit carried away!  Bother is, though, when there's so much to see your finger just keeps pressing that button:

I was pleased to get this common gull - I don't get flight shot of these very often.

These greylag geese announced their arrival to everyone in earshot!

Wow.  That's a lot of snipe!

Herring gulls make flying look so effortless.  Who could tire of watching them?

Happily the Godfather did leave his comfy perch and gave us a demonstration of the sheer magnificence of great black-backed gulls in the air.

Watch out below!

When you see this gull at full stretch it's easy to see how they can be confused with ospreys at a distance!  Two very different, but equally impressive, birds.

Even the immature birds are worth watching!

It's almost a shame that its beautifully patterned feathers will be that very dark grey in the not too distant future.

It's almost inevitable that the local crows will join in when any flying fun is to be had.

Two distant barnacle geese.

I can never leave out the subtly gleaming cormorant!

One of our most impressive wingspans .......... the stunning grey heron.

It's always lovely to get a raptor and this obliging marsh harrier will do more than nicely.

A spot of low flying!

Finishing with the starlings' impressive way of saying good night!

Children
  • Very nice set Clare and super finish too with the Starling murmuration.    I can't wait to get back out and about and get some birding in like you have shown here although methinks it will be another week yet :(    Weather has thrown the kitchen sink at us today:   rain, hail, sleet, thunder, bits of blue sky and sunshine and breezy at times too !   Despite those late January gloomy conditions you did very well with such excellent captures so thanks for adding some much needed cheer to my day !  

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks for the lovely collection, Clare!  Especially like the Great Black-backed Gulls, the Wren and the Blackbird.  Of course it is always great to see a Marsh Harrier. And your Deer photo has lovely light and is very atmospheric with all the pale (and frosted?) vegetation.

Kind regards, Ann

• Great selection of Gulls Clare, and I did like the Ringed Plover and the Dunlin together against the surf.   I especially like the Marsh Harrier low flying over the grass and of course the starling murmuration too.

Lot to learn

• Thanks, Gaynor, you reminded me I forgot to mention the murmuration--always enjoy seeing photos and one day I'll see it in person!

Kind regards, Ann