RSPB a charity or political organisation

Extremely disappointed to see the latest politically motivated comments on “X” forum.

Cant believe such a Royal charity is stooping so low.

• They are the biggest conservation charity in Europe, with more.than a million members ......something they've previously described as millions of voices for nature. Could you tell me why, then, they shouldn't use their voice on behalf of all of ours? They stated what is absolutely true - this disgraceful government has lied and backtracked so much that not a single word it says can be trusted. I haven't paid them membership so that it can just comment politely and be completely blanked by those powers who clearly feel they can do whatever they wish. I want them to stand up and SHOUT! Their voice can make a difference, as my single voice cannot.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hi Paul,

I am not party political. I vote against who I least like, or in favour of someone who I least dislike.

Party politics is very old fashioned. If someone in the conversation says, "I've voted x all my life", I tune them out as being not worth listening to. Maybe wrong, but faults can have been picked with every MP and every party during my lifetime.....

Re posting about liars, I don't get the argument that it's a political organisation......what is a conservation charity if it can't argue against water pollution for example, and argue against people responsible for it?

If you would like something that is actually party political, here's what Darren Jones MP wrote today. Enjoy.

"One of the benefits of changing your job so frequently is that most people don’t realise how awful you are before you leave.

I wish Grant Shapps all the best in his new role as Defence Secretary"

• It’s a Royal charity, with a long and proud membership.

If you want to make political statements against the government join a political party. A charity shouldn’t be used as a forum for politics.
  • Paul B said:

If you want to make political statements against the government join a political party. A charity shouldn’t be used as a forum for politics.

How do you campaign for reducing pollution of rivers without it bring political? The charity isn’t being used for politics. 

• I think Beccy Speight was right to apologise.

Whatever the political rights and wrongs, the social media post was insulting and focused on individuals, not issues.

To use the term 'Liars' certainly debases and cheapens the tone of political debate. It should never be used.
  • If anyone would like to actual state how a charity is supposed to oppose the increased water pollution in UK, and highlight the issues to the people responsible for that, without being political, feel free……even though you clearly won’t be able to.

Don’t forget, if you are political neutral, you will remember one of three politicians stating in the last few days how much cleaner the rivers are compared to the past…….and wonder how appropriate that claim was for someone responsible for it…..
  • You’ve still missed the point.

It’s a CHARITY, not a political organisation..

I’m sure thousands of RSPB members have strong political views about all sorts of environmental issues however they stick to supporting the charity and keep their political views to themselves or use a political forum or join a party., but not use a charity to voice their opinions.
  • If you don't like it you can always hand in your membership...oh wait.

• Paul B said:
    You’ve still missed the point.

It’s a CHARITY, not a political organisation..

I’m sure thousands of RSPB members have strong political views about all sorts of environmental issues however they stick to supporting the charity and keep their political views to themselves or use a political forum or join a party., but not use a charity to voice their opinions.

I don’t think you read what I wrote. Can I politely just repeat with different words so you can try and answer,….how do you campaign…..as a conservation organisation…..against rivers and seas being used as a dumping ground…..without it being political as it is politicians who are responsible for the rules and for the oversight of regulators…….? 

• RSPB is a bird charity…..do you think bird charities are set up to hang up bird feeders and nestboxes, Paul?