Owning a bird of pray

Hi there.

I went to collect some free manure from a nearby small holding and realised they were keeping a rather large owl - don't know the kind - in a rather small cage. I noticed that the bird had a ring on its leg so it is registered somewhere. Is is allowed to keep these birds as a pet? It felt rather cruel to do so.

Any comments -welcome.

• I'm not an expert but I don't think it's illegal as such to keep an owl, although it is regulated about where you obtain it, ie it should be captive bred (or perhaps rescued from injury and unable to be returned to the wild). Falconers do keep owls as well as falcons and other raptors.
    However, any animal should always be kept in suitable conditions and if you have any doubt about those then you might consider talking to the RSPCA to find out if your concerns are justified or not.

Nige   Flickr

• I'd report what you've seen. I don't think it's appropriate to keep an owl in a small cage, and I'm also worried about why it's being kept. It was only a day or two ago that I learned that eagle owls are being used on some moors being managed for driven grouse shooting - they are being used as lures to encourage birds such a buzzards to mob them, at which point they are illegally shot. I don't have words.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thank you Nigel. I thought I might need to speak to RSPB?
  • Thank you Clare. How awful is what you are reporting. I will investigate further. May be the cage was not too small but it seemed that way in proportion to the bird. It was definitely not as big as the ones they have at the Center for Birds of Prey in Herefordshire.
  • Sylvia Small said:
    I thought I might need to speak to RSPB?

This site is generally members of the public, like me, and doesn't have that much official involvement from the RSPB. I suspect the RSPB would be more concerned about wild birds (or birds illegally taken from the wild), while the RSPCA would be more involved with the health and well-being of captive birds. To me this sounds like a potential issue with a captive bird so I'd try the RSPCA first. 

Nige   Flickr

• Welcome to the forum, Sylvia, and thank you for your concern about the owl you saw. I hope you will come back and tell us about any developments--best of luck in reporting it to the RSPCA and I hope they can at least investigate it.

Kind regards, Ann

• I contacted RSPCA today, managed to speak to them. It is unlikely for them to vist the site due to lack of officers. I was advised to check with the local council ( not sure whether is the town, district or county one - I will follow this up) whether a licence has been issued for keeping a bird of prey. This is the story so far.
    Best Wishes,
    Sylvia