Plants, flowers and shrubs 2022; Share your photos here

After a successful thread started back in March 2020 at the start of the first lockdown, its probably about time to start a new one for 2022. Thank you to all for your contributions, no matter how small or big, each has been valuable and interesting, and hopefully you will continue to contribute to the 2022 thread.

The old thread: Plants, flowers and shrubs; Share your photos here can be viewed on the link below

https://community.rspb.org.uk/chat/f/the-tea-rooms/206836/plants-flowers-and-shrubs-share-your-photos-here#pifragment-4313=1

I'll kickstart this thread with some snowdrops that have come out in flower, crocuses will be out in many places soon, and then daffodils, and many more to follow throughout the year, and it will be nice to see what wild or garden plants, flowers or shrubs you come across on your wanders or around your garden. Without these plants, flowers and shrubs, nature would struggle to survive, they all a part of the valuable cycle of life, insects need them, birds need the insects, and so on through to the mammals,

I mentioned daffodils, these shoots are growing very well among the snowdrops, and  it won't be long before the bluebells start showing shoots...

• Some overlooked photos from the garden recently, starting with the lavender, which has lots of cuckoo spit on (must get some close ups of the froghopper sack)

Erysiumum

More lavender

And finally, the mountain houseleek

• I think it’s very interesting. What I also find interesting aswell is that there are plants that the Woodland Trust use as Ancient indicators indicaters of Anchient Woodland which we don’t actualy have much left in the UK now and that is why places like the Woodland Trust, Wildlife Trust and national Trust try to preserve any truely Anchient Woodland they find. But in order to find out weather a Woodland is Anchient they have to look for things that indicate Ancient Woodland. Non native plants weren’t around before people were around. But there are some Wild plants that were. And over generations some plants evolved to have special relationships just like Ants eveolved to have special relationships with Aphids. and a lot of species have come to rely on plants to Survive or Breed succesfuly like Catterpillers and Butterflys. And there’s leafcutter Bees which are solitary Bees that cut leafs and use leafs to seal up the hole to there nest where they lay there eggs. Theres also plants that evolved as predators of other species like the fly trap plant. Others though have evolved as mimics. While others have evolved to depend on Polinaters for pollination but arnt mimics. Plants that develop fruit depend on pollinators and even though other pollinators pollinate them not just Bees. Fruit plants depend on a special type of pollination that other pollinators don’t have that is unique to Bumblebees which does it even more effectively. It’s called Buzz pollination

• Garden yesterday 

Red Clover 

White Clover

Daisy 

Self Heal 

Wildflower Border 

Trailing Bellflower (garden escapee) and non Native but interestingly Bumblebees Love them and it’s Bumblebee Friendly 

Today 

3 Leaf Clover

Earthworm going through the Chouch grass

• Sorry. I didn’t mean to sound like I was rambling on yesterday but I think what you said was interesting and I hope you found the thing I said about the woodland trust, types of  pollination,  plant evolution and how some have special relationships (give and take) where they both benefit like the ants and aphid and how Wild animals evolved to depend on each other for things like breeding, food, and survival after generations interesting though 

• Potting shed has paid off and the slugs must have missed this one lol

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Zo Clark said:

Sorry. I didn’t mean to sound like I was rambling on yesterday but I think what you said was interesting and I hope you found the thing I said about the woodland trust, types of  pollination,  plant evolution and how some have special relationships (give and take) where they both benefit like the ants and aphid and how Wild animals evolved to depend on each other for things like breeding, food, and survival after generations interesting though 

I didn't see your reply as rambling, it was actually a very interesting conversation, as with other conversations. It was more keeping the thread to its original title and reduce any digressions.

• On a recent trip to RSPB Conwy, a bee orchid

And back home, the first of the pond lily flowers for 2022

• I forgot this  one for the previous post, and also from the reserve at Conwy, which I'm reliably informed, this is a northern orchid.....