Plants, flowers and shrubs; Share your photos here

As I sit here, on yet another dismal, wet and grey weekend, chomping away at some toast and marmalade Mrs PR has kindly done for me, along with a nice cuppa, and sorting through the few photos I've managed to grab so far this year, I think I recalled a thread some time back of plants or flowers people have seen, but couldn't find anything in the searches.

So, without further ado, I thought why not set a thread up for , where all can share their photos, not just in the wild, but the garden, local municipal parks, anywhere, because without these plants, there wouldn't be nature.

It's not unusual to see flowers virtually all year through, not because of global warming, climate change or whatever scenario you prefer to use, but because some plants are hardy and prefer to be winter borne. But for many, the first flowers they really see properly, are snowdrops in February, followed by crocuses (late February- Mach) and then the delightful daffodils (March/April)., bluebells (April time), and much more.

So lets put some colour back into the grey world, spring is coming, so here's a few to set things going.

February; snowdrops

February: Sweet Violet

March: the first daffs in bloom

March: always a sign that spring is on the way, the primrose

March; crocuses (from a local municipal park)

March; mini daffs in our garden

and some proper daffs in the garden, starting to bloom

BTW, I've seen my second bee of the year, having a nosey around the daffs above, the first was late Feb, the second was earlier today, but on both occasions, the weather wasn't right to get the camera out...

• I wish I had some flowers in my garden to share Mike, but this year will all be about the planting them and creating a garden to attract all wildlife. Will be glad to get rid of some lawn as it takes me hours with my wee mower to cut it! Rolling eyes
  • For some reason the largest clump of snowdrops I'm familiar with didn't flower this year - too wet possibly? That area seems to have gone straight to the daffs. I have seen one or two Marsh Marigolds in flower, including one with my first large insect of the year - one of the eristalini hoverflies.
  • Latest bit of brightness in my garden yesterday

• Another view from my armchair to the daffs and Hellebores behind the pond. All our Snowdrops have gone over but we have Tulips, Primrose and others flowers blooming along with blossom on Blackthorn, Cherry and others.

And one of our visitors wandering amongst the wreckage of the decking next to the pond.

• A super idea Mike, lovey photos of the spring flowers and others.
    A very pretty colourful flower Wendy.
    I do like the blue's in the decorative spheres and the pots Tony. (The pond and surrounding area is also very nice) Mr Pigeons breast blends in well!!

• Linda257 said:
    I wish I had some flowers in my garden to share Mike, but this year will all be about the planting them and creating a garden to attract all wildlife. Will be glad to get rid of some lawn as it takes me hours with my wee mower to cut it!

Linda, it doesn't have to be in the garden, it can be anywhere, local parks, the  nature reserves you visit, or just out anywhere, and any plant, including shrubs, trees (many of which will be budding soon, if not already).

Good luck with the garden, I'm sure it will come together nicely.

• Unknown said:
    For some reason the largest clump of snowdrops I'm familiar with didn't flower this year - too wet possibly? That area seems to have gone straight to the daffs. I have seen one or two Marsh Marigolds in flower, including one with my first large insect of the year - one of the eristalini hoverflies.

I've a similar scenario with crocuses this year, whether the weather has had an impact or not, I don't know. Though I must add, the local council have been their ever efficient selves again, and destroyed more green spaces in favour of mortar!

• Well now that you have sent the rain in my direction Mike, it's not looking likely I will be out and about any day soon.
    I do have a couple of shrubs actually that are coming back to life.

Thanks but the garden is pretty big so will take a couple of years I think !
  • Linda257 said:
    Well now that you have sent the rain in my direction Mike, it's not looking likely I will be out and about any day soon.
    I do have a couple of shrubs actually that are coming back to life.

Thanks but the garden is pretty big so will take a couple of years I think !

Meee?

Little ol' meeee!

Joking aside, twelve months of post accident neglect in our garden saw brambles, ivy and all sorts make a very quick and successful take over bid. Because it is difficult for me to undertake gardening, I now have a gardener, a pleasant chap who has worked damned hard and three years on, the garden is beginning to look like it did before the accident, not a showcase, but somewhere for me to chill out and nature to enjoy.

The brambles are now under control, but still try to make their presence known, the ivy has been cut right back which involved a lot of digging to get at as many roots as possible, and that is now more or less under control. But the guy has worked hard and last year, started the first wave of planting, with more to be planted this spring.

Just over a year ago because the brambles and ivy destroyed a wood panelled fence, at my request, the gardener sought out a nice shrub called a red robin (proper botanical name: Photinia x fraseri), which you will have seen in many public car parks, a shrub which has red tipped leaves, and looks brilliant in the sun.

• No idea what any of these are (I know less about plants than I do birds!), saw them in Weymouth today