2022 YEAR LIST - here we go again:

New year - new blank list:

We started early- team of 4 and did a  traditional Jan 1st route  around the NW corner of Norfolk

8 1/2 hours and a  Chinese takeaway later it was 100 spp , 

The weather and wind direction were against us and some staked out regulars let us down - but it was better than last years !

Best birds were SEO, Tree Sparrow, Great Northern Diver , Black Necked Grebe, Cattle Egret, Bullfinch, Nuthatch, Marsh Tit.

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• I have been referring to them as Moustached Babblers and Bearded Parrotbills for decades but apparently
    ( they used to be called Reed Pheasants ) they are Reedlings NOT parrotbills -

They'll be splitting mediterranean Spotted Flycatcher next- probably after they lump all the Redpolls into 1 species:

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Flock of Corn Buntings on wires where I'd parked the car this morning- 117:

• seymouraves said:
    they used to be called Reed Pheasants

Interesting to hear that S;     I guess their name should have reeds in it somewhere.    Their markings are more like teardrop than moustache -   Teared Reedings maybe.  !!!    When I was at Leighton Moss a week or so ago they were still visiting the grit trays which is quite late in the season for that.     Out of interest how many birds need grit for digestion as I've seen Reed buntings take grit too. ?        

John Wilson, first warden at LM has studied the Beardies for years and has written papers including the use of grit. HERE      They have had a great year in 2021 breeding season although without ringing during the pandemic most birds I see are not colour coded so can't forward any information back to him.      They are the most unusual birds and so unique -  guess you already have one on your 2022 list being within reach of Cley Marshes. !    

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    Teared Reedings

If that sat on top of each other, they could be Tiered Reedlings Joy

• I did some vols work at the Moss when John was warden,he even took me on a twitch to Sunderland Point to see Buff Breasted Sandpiper, he taught a number of us a lot about management

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Wendy S said:
    I did some vols work at the Moss when John was warden,he even took me on a twitch to Sunderland Point to see Buff Breasted Sandpiper, he taught a number of us a lot about management

That's great to hear Pete,  John is certainly a very interesting man and how lovely you went to Sunderland Point with him when volunteering when he was warden.    I wish I had a fraction of his knowledge or even his skill of bird ringing.    He's done a lot for conservation from what I understand and the David Attenborough of the north  !     On the LM blog they highlight some of John's life which is worth a read.   HERE, HERE & HERE

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks for the links Hazel, I got out of the habit of following the LM blog put it on my tablet now

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I feel decidedly inadequate. Only 60 for me so far.....

Volunteer Shaun welcomes visitors to RSPB Old Moor. He also writes a weekly blog about life at the reserve titled, "View From the Shed". He usually wears a big hat.

• No Reed Pheasants this year yet- not been to Cley either yet in 2022-
    I might go to Roydon Common or Eldernell or Freiston at the w/e:

It depends what is about

S

• Good luck at weekend and for adding a Reed Pheasant and anything else that is around; you can't come back without adding at least 6 more to the list. !!

Regards, Hazel