2021 year list

I gave up on twitching years years ago for many reasons but, like a lot of birders, I like to keep a list of the species seen during the year. I used to expect to get 200+ species but in recent times153 has been my top and I have probably enjoyed my birding as much if not more. So its a new year so a new list and I wondered how others who keep lists are getting on with theirs. The corvid19 restrictions will limit the distance most of us will be travelling but many will have good birding not far from our doorsteps. So how is your 2021 bird list going in these strange unusual times ? I, like loads of others, am in that  "vulnerable  at risk" group so have been shielding but we still managing a decent local walk carrying our bins and I have managed 43 species in the first two weeks of the year and I've really enjoyed it. Chris has managed 46 species but her eyes are better than mine. Let's hope things with the virus will improve enough for us to catch some of the incoming Spring birds. Until then we will get on and enjoy what we have, take care folks.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Thanks Pete, just sent you a message. We will go to Filey Brigg tomorrow and Wykeham on Wed. Had fab view of Tawny Owl in the woods below Roseberry Topping today.
    Thanks for your feedback
  • Hi

having a punt around locally inland on 17th  found

Nightingale 

Garden Warbler

Tree Pipit

Had a LEO this week and a Hobby today-

:)

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• It's been an interesting few days this week and we managed to add Turtle Dove, Grasshopper Warbler and Bittern to the year list

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi

had Woodcock and Nightjar over the bank holiday - 164

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Managed to see a couple of Ospreys and a Black Tern over the weekend

S

• We were lucky enough to see both regular Godwits on Monday only 10 mins from home and a visit to Yorkshire coast got us regular Auks plus Gannet, Fulmar and surprisingly Skylark

Pete

• It's hot out there- but the birds keep wandering through

S

Curlew Sand and Pacific Golden Plover at Frampton - 172

• Ravens near Pulborough brooks got me to 179 last weekend-

S

• Wendy S said:
    We were lucky enough to see both regular Godwits on Monday only 10 mins from home and a visit to Yorkshire coast got us regular Auks plus Gannet, Fulmar and surprisingly Skylark

We usually see skylarks on our yearly visits to Bempton, so not so surprising.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I don't keep a count of how many species I see through the year but however many I have seen this year I'm looking forward to adding the white-tailed eagle, hooded crow, eider and (fingers crossed!) hen harrier to my sightings next month when Limpy and I travel up to Mull. Can't wait!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.