2021 year list

I gave up on twitching years years ago for many reasons but, like a lot of birders, I like to keep a list of the species seen during the year. I used to expect to get 200+ species but in recent times153 has been my top and I have probably enjoyed my birding as much if not more. So its a new year so a new list and I wondered how others who keep lists are getting on with theirs. The corvid19 restrictions will limit the distance most of us will be travelling but many will have good birding not far from our doorsteps. So how is your 2021 bird list going in these strange unusual times ? I, like loads of others, am in that  "vulnerable  at risk" group so have been shielding but we still managing a decent local walk carrying our bins and I have managed 43 species in the first two weeks of the year and I've really enjoyed it. Chris has managed 46 species but her eyes are better than mine. Let's hope things with the virus will improve enough for us to catch some of the incoming Spring birds. Until then we will get on and enjoy what we have, take care folks.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• We hope to get to the Yorkshire coast when things calm down a bit, it's about 45 miles or so but will make it a long drive for Chris

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• A Jack Snipe Boingy-boinging at Patsy's water Emporium early this morning -

:)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• and a Spotted Redshank and a 1st summer Dotterel at Frampton today

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• That Goldeneye is quite a late bird Seymour, ours left here about a week ago., we added Yellow Wag and House Martin today.

Pete

• Hi-

added Little Gull and Common Tern today - 155;

Going Nightingaling on Monday - weather depending.

S

• We had our first Swifts yesterday while looking for Raptors near a moorland reservoir it was snowing and blooming cold. Not ideal weather for Swifts food supply must be hard to find in such conditions

Pete

• Hi-

finally had singing Turtle Doves today :)

S

• We are hoping to travel to the North York Moors area this week to meet some friends doing a Turtle Dove survey over that way. We went looking for Hobby locally today,no luck but a pleasant afternoon watching Buzzards and Sparrowhawks with the odd Red Kite thrown in.

Pete

• Pete, just saw this post, we are currently staying around N York Moors and were at Bempton yesterday. I will message you if you don't mind as am struggling to find some other decent birding sites.

Tony
    I've not been posting these last few months .
  • Tony, I saw your message come through but could not open it properly, It was probably my fault it usually is Try messaging again and I'll try to help you. If you want more coastal sites Flamborough Head and Filey Brigg are fantastic at this time of year. Inland there is a raptor view point near Wykeham which can be very good with the chance of Honey Buzzard and Goshawk as well as good woodland birding in the area.

Pete