2021 year list

I gave up on twitching years years ago for many reasons but, like a lot of birders, I like to keep a list of the species seen during the year. I used to expect to get 200+ species but in recent times153 has been my top and I have probably enjoyed my birding as much if not more. So its a new year so a new list and I wondered how others who keep lists are getting on with theirs. The corvid19 restrictions will limit the distance most of us will be travelling but many will have good birding not far from our doorsteps. So how is your 2021 bird list going in these strange unusual times ? I, like loads of others, am in that  "vulnerable  at risk" group so have been shielding but we still managing a decent local walk carrying our bins and I have managed 43 species in the first two weeks of the year and I've really enjoyed it. Chris has managed 46 species but her eyes are better than mine. Let's hope things with the virus will improve enough for us to catch some of the incoming Spring birds. Until then we will get on and enjoy what we have, take care folks.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• We added a few birds to the list this week, our moorland trip got us Red Grouse, Golden Plover in full breeding plumage and Meadow Pipit. A visit to one very local wetland brought us Avocet, Ruff and Little Ringed Plover while a walk with the 4 year old grandson gave us great views of a pair of Garganey but I'm not sure they compared with thebugs he was finding under the old wood on the pool edge.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi

Mrs S came along and dug out some goodies- we added

SEO
    Black Necked Grebe

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• The North East wind is holding up some migrants here- still Wigeon and Brents about

Whitethroats and House Martins have just slipped in -
    Saw a Whimbrel today and Redstart

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Enjoyed the sight of two little ringed plovers mating at Abberton Reservoir yesterday, as well as a beautiful bar-tailed godwit foraging nearby.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Things are looking very mixed up here in N. Yorkshire with overwintering ducks and Thrushes mixing with migrating waders and incoming warblers. We had beautiful Black Tailed Godwits feeding alongside Wigeon waiting to head North

Pete

• Hi

Mooching about my usual corner of Norfolk with Mrs S - had first Swifts today at 0700 , singing Gropper warblers and a few Barn Owls- then found a Black Kite ( !!) and later 3 Common Sandpipers.
    Missed a Wryneck up the road but saw. Whinchat  and  ......... GREENFINCH!!!!

• I love greenfinches, they are beautiful little birds.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• IT'S NOT A GREENFINCH!!  :)

S

• Passed our 100 species mark this afternoon when we saw Common Tern at our local wetland reserve. We are not into twitching nowadays but we still like to tot up a year list.

Pete

• Hi

I haven't been further than 50 miles from home this year and no plans for hols until September.

Second jab only a month away now :)

S