Lockdown photos of 2021

Many of you will have seen my garden photo thread from last year: "Post Furlough Return To Work....", and to save a thread getting too long, I  thought I'd set up one for 2021. I was hoping to make it a retirement thread, but alas, that was thwarted at the last minute just before Xmas, but nature and life still continues, and so shall I....

So here it is. The light has been, well, yuk for any decent photos, but to start things off, a few snow scenes from the garden from last Friday.

A generaly view of the garden.

The chimera, complete with coconut shell full of mealworms, which often provides good viewing, but not this day....

The established erysimum

Last years erysimum and lavender

Stay safe folks, there will be wildlife photos here soon, lockdown or no lockdown....

• Linda257 said:
    Another lovely set Mike. Ano am often wrong but can I ask if you great tit in the pic is actually a coal tit. Am probably wrong again lol.

Lovely to see the LTTs still around , Mrs PR shall be happy

Yes, Mrs PR is very happy.

As for the typo, you're right to pull me up, coal tit it should be. I've no idea why I put 'great' instead of 'coal' reckon this retirement malarkey has got to me already! LOL

• Lynn L said:

Happy retirement Mike, enjoy every minute, fill all your days with fun. I wish you good health and happiness for all the years ahead.

Could not resist the funny one! CL.

Aww love the card CL and thank you, always good to have a bit of humour around. Thumbsup

• Michael B said:

OK, I'm not sure what has been going on, though I've heard of wellie wanging, but this looks like tyre wanging, and quite high up in a nearby trree!

You may recall this from yesterday's posting, well, it turned out to be a balloon, that finally freed itself and continued its (most likely destructive) journey westward....

• Thank you all for your kind comments.

Now for yesterday's sightings, without getting repetitive, because a lot of Saturdays were just as apparent again.

This blackbird just looked at home, surveying his territory....

And then, all went slowly quiet!

So scanning around as you do, and overhead were a pair of buzzards.... No wonder it went quiet....

And a fine specimen of male greater spotted woodpecker came to the feeders, first keeping out of sight....

Like I said, a very fine looking specimen of a male GSW, looking for a mate no doubt....

Stay safe everyone

• Great photos Mike well done with the Buzzard and the woodpecker I have never seen a woodpecker in my garden but never say never it has nuts in a feeder waiting for it ?
  • Michael B said:
    first keeping out of sight

Surely it's then lesser spotted JoyJoyStuck out tongue winking eye

• i love robins said:
    Great photos Mike well done with the Buzzard and the woodpecker I have never seen a woodpecker in my garden but never say never it has nuts in a feeder waiting for it ?

Thank you.

I'm sure ILR in good time you'll see a woodpecker. It took a couple of years before we saw one, and amazingly the first observed was a green woodpecker, which sadly hasn't been a regular visitor, but the GSW's are quite regular, and what seemed to be mum feeding a young male late last year. See the link below for the online photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peak-rambler/49962018318/in/album-72157714547272763/

• PimperneBloke said:

In disguise LOL LaughingLaughingLaughing

• A bit of catching up here, so apologies for the large number of photos.

I'll get the not-so-nice ones out the way first, it seems like a male blackbird may have had his days curtailed, all part of natures keeping the population to sensible numbers.

and what I guess may be the culprit, a neighbouring cat, that likes to hide the other side of the wall where the feathers were...

And more pleasant photo on the same day, a pair of wood pigeons, 'share and share' alike!

Did someone mention sun in another posting somewhere?

Sunday 7th March, started of battleship grey, then, it seemed to try and beam through, a UFO!

STOP PRESS! Blue sky thinking, no, its for real....

The snow bells are still looking good for April flowering

Likewise the tulips

The daffs are really coming on and should be in flower in the next 2 - 3 weeks....

The wildlife as as busy as ever, doing their bit to empty the feeders...

Great tits

Blue Tits

While the dunnocks did their hoovering up of the spilt feed...

I think the one on the right may be one of last years young, it was very nervous of any movement or sound, while the one on the left just carried on regardless...

Cyril was fleeing after being accosted....

The assailant literally charged into Cyril, and then made good of the  ground feeder...

Where's that clicking noise coming from?

Hmmmm, over there me thinks....

"Oi?"

"Is that you making that infernal clicking noise?"

Mrs blackbird having a forage under the trees

House Sparrows male and female me thinks, but happy to be corrected.

Magpie on a nearby tree top.

Herring Gull?

And the inevitable robin to take the final bow and curtain....

Stay safe everyone

• Nice variety Mike, and some "proper" blue sky too!! Lucky fella.... How's the 1st week or so retirement been?