Some thoughts on covid 19 restrictions

ASs some regulars may know I sometimes have a few health problems that at times restricts my access to the countryside so many of the restrictions that we have endured, and are still enduring, do not feel strange to Chris and myself. My immune system is pretty shot up at times so I'm quite good at avoiding numbers of people, I'm maybe not as anti social as it seems, and I've never been a lover of shopping unless its books. When we were recommended to shield in our own homes we actually realised we could walk the riverside fields with permission from the owners and had little chance of meeting anyone so we felt quite happy there. When restrictions eased we have four small nature reserves within a couple of miles of home with plenty of space to avoid close contact but still both watch birds and talk about birds with others doing the same, quite a little anti social bird club we are. There has been good birds aplenty and as winter has drawn closer the wintering Thrushes arrived we have been doing counts on them. One of our local reserves has got a wonderful Starling murmuration,60,000 birds at least, which we managed to social distance the grandsons to. We have found by visiting the busiest of the reserves late afternoon most birders have gone home and we enjoy the spectacle of birds going to roost. We do miss visiting our local moorland but they are outside the 3 mile radius we put on ourselves, they will still be there when all this is over and we settle down to our new normal. Because I am in that at risk category we seem to be swimming in hand sanitiser but Chris keeps an eye on what I get up to. I just hope other folk are coping as well as us and getting the support we have been getting, take care out there we will beat this lot somehow.

• LOL Tony !!
    the problem with lockdown is I' don't feel anywhere near as fit with only walking very locally for about an hour (instead of many hours on the various nature reserves or coastline) ; I don't have much to do at home except take the vacuum round for the 4th time in a day so I am trying to keep occupied baking cakes and scones for Mike as freezer is already full of frozen fresh meals !! Might have to stick the radio or "Alexa" on and dance my way round the apartment to lose some weight LOL

• WendyBartter said:
    Lol TJ ... I get my first jab on Friday a short distance away at my Doc surgery in the village! I have booked the weekend in bed with room service! Haha

Great news Wendy, I managed to get Ron booked in for first jab on Friday too, 15h52. Apparantly one guy doing a jab every 4 minutes. It's a 30 minute drive but that's local for us. The 2nd is booked too, just hope they don't run out of vaccine.

• I shall think of him H as I get mine at 15.00 but no info yet about how long a wait for second one!
  • I had a text at 10.10pm on Sat inviting me to book an appointment for Sun afternoon. My first thought was its a scam as I tried googling the link on a laptop rather than phone, but it never appeared in any type of search. I then followed the link in the text on my phone and got through to the booking form straight away. I was offered 3.45pm on Sun afternoon at a centre about 15mls away. Arrived 15min early as suggested to an absolutely packed car park with a queue of about 60/80 people around 3 sides of the car park. No Covid Marshall in sight and no one staying in their car as the booking tells you to do. Stood in the cold for 2.5hrs outside until my turn to join the queue inside, 30mins later on our way home after having sat for 15mins to make sure no side effects. Second appointment beginning of March, again on a Sun. Think I've been very lucky as under 70 but on the CEVP list but a little worried now as I had the Pfizer vaccine as I'd hoped for but information today from research in Israel saying single dose only seems to up to 35% cover and the second dose really boosts the full immune response, wait and see if it stands up and if our Govt will then decrease the time between doses to get more people fully protected.
  • WendyBartter said:
    I shall think of him H as I get mine at 15.00 but no info yet about how long a wait for second one!

Didn't get my jab ... my history of allergic reactions too great for them to risk it!

• Oh dear, that's a shame, Wendy. You're just going to have remain extra careful as I'm sure you already are.

• So sorry to hear that Wendy, which vaccine were you scheduled for as I thought the OxfordAZ was better for people with allergies rather than the Pfizer one. I know you are self isolating anyway but that was a disappointing outcome for you :(         Just listening to Boris update at the moment and update on the new variant news which is concerning.   

• Crikey, just been watching the briefing. We've still got a long haul in front of us. There's still too many people who are not taking this seriously enough.
    I find the medics and scientists are quite impressive and telling us how it really is without trying to put a gloss on things. Even Boris is being more cautious.
  • Unknown said:
    I thought the OxfordAZ was better for people with allergies rather than the Pfizer one.

Doc said definitely shouldn't have the Pfizer one, they were giving AZ today but Doc said not enough info yet to be safe ... may get it further down the line when better statistics available, my allergy history too bad!

• Still in my place of safety but musn't complain as it's warm & comfy & the meals are OK too!