The legend of the TITCHWELL arch

Hi

birding gossip a few weeks back said that an 'arch' was to be built between the car park and the reserve centre to scan  membership cards.

On a visit last weekend it appears a new building / foyer is under construction at the end of the footpath by the RC and in the future visitors will enter through it and show their membership cards.  We were checked on Saturday at a temporary booth and Track and Trace details taken.

Access before and after opening hours will still be possible  apparently - somehow bypassing the closed foyer with a side gate? 

So atm it appears that  parking will not be checked and a determined beach visiting family could possibly leave their vehicle in the car park for free  , walk back up the entrance track and go up the public footpath to the beach :  If word gets out on NorfolkGrockles.com  the game will be up!

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Where there's a will there's always a way for those determined people who don't want to pay parking or entrance fees but hopefully having more checks during the daytime in place the rspb can charge those folk who haven't paid for membership so it goes some small way towards topping up the coffers. It's hard times for all charities without any or much added funding from Government or other contributors so every penny counts. Probably costs a fortune to put the new measures (like the arch) in place so they must think it is worth the revenue they are losing overall to go ahead.
    Sounds like they need some way to monitor who is actually using the rspb car park and ensure they are visiting the reserve and not just the beach for leisure use ! Seems to be the policy that side gates are left open on some of the reserves outside of visitor centre hours but often they close the car parks before nightfall.

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi H,

a car park barrier would only penalise dawn birders and as the public FP cannot be closed a pay and display option would probably have a higher deterrent rate:

Some U.S. wildlife agencies let you buy a weekly or monthly ticket on credit card in their car parks that covers several reserves- used it myself :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• the US method sounds a good way if, as you say, it includes a few reserves and you can opt for weekly or monthly ticket. I prefer to go early birding but often the car parks are not always accessible until 8.00am earliest and I think around 9am at Burton Mere rspb. I understand staff can't be there from 6am or 7am but it's frustrating when you can't park and use the side gate as I miss the dawn chorus !!

Regards, Hazel