Plants, flowers and shrubs; Share your photos here

As I sit here, on yet another dismal, wet and grey weekend, chomping away at some toast and marmalade Mrs PR has kindly done for me, along with a nice cuppa, and sorting through the few photos I've managed to grab so far this year, I think I recalled a thread some time back of plants or flowers people have seen, but couldn't find anything in the searches.

So, without further ado, I thought why not set a thread up for , where all can share their photos, not just in the wild, but the garden, local municipal parks, anywhere, because without these plants, there wouldn't be nature.

It's not unusual to see flowers virtually all year through, not because of global warming, climate change or whatever scenario you prefer to use, but because some plants are hardy and prefer to be winter borne. But for many, the first flowers they really see properly, are snowdrops in February, followed by crocuses (late February- Mach) and then the delightful daffodils (March/April)., bluebells (April time), and much more.

So lets put some colour back into the grey world, spring is coming, so here's a few to set things going.

February; snowdrops

February: Sweet Violet

March: the first daffs in bloom

March: always a sign that spring is on the way, the primrose

March; crocuses (from a local municipal park)

March; mini daffs in our garden

and some proper daffs in the garden, starting to bloom

BTW, I've seen my second bee of the year, having a nosey around the daffs above, the first was late Feb, the second was earlier today, but on both occasions, the weather wasn't right to get the camera out...

• Ooo, Linda, lucky you! And what a beauty! We've had a rose blooming in December this year, too, but we are down in Surrey--you are in Scotland, for goodness sake--wow! I believe that this is the first time we have had one still blooming in December--November, yes, but never in December before this year.
  • I can't believe how mild it is here still Ann! Lol...no doubt now I have said that....a will end up with an Arctic blast Grinning

• I will send down some of the frosty cold weather that we have had this morning. A beautiful day now, the sun is out and not a breath of wind.
  • Hell No CL its so nice a may even go a wee walk this afternoon..maybe...break in ma new walking boots lol

• Linda257 said:

I can't believe how mild it is here still Ann! Lol...no doubt now I have said that....a will end up with an Arctic blast

Though for Scotland snow will occur anytime from October (sometimes as early as September) through to April/May, and I've seen snow on the hills in Scotland in early June, generally speaking February is often the month for snow, but for now, I'm evaluating ark building plans, as our garden is a lake and its hardly stopped raining in one form or another for almost two weeks!

On a happier note, nice to see the winter rose blooming well, always good to put a smile on faces.

• It's just no cold enough for snow the now Mike or Frost...och a always thought February was a rainy month lol.....been chucking it down here today aswell so am off out with ma bucket and wellies before the pond bursts it's banks lol
  • Linda257 said:
    It's just no cold enough for snow the now Mike or Frost...och a always thought February was a rainy month lol.....been chucking it down here today aswell so am off out with ma bucket and wellies before the pond bursts it's banks lol

Often it needs to warm up for snow, but only after sufficient ground frosts to chill the ground sufficiently for snow to have a chance to settle.

Its often the temperature change in the atmosphere that helps to generate the snow....

I did my mountaineering winter skills course in early Feb, my sons birthday is mid-Feb, which often coincided with half term, and it often snowed on that week. But, as we all know, you can't plan a diary around the weather, like nature, it has its onw agenda and will do what it wants, when it wants.....

• After quite a successful almost two years, this thread being set up around the time of the  first lockdown, it is probably time to start a new thread for 2022.

Thank you to all for your contributions, no matter how small or big, each has been valuable and interesting, and hopefully you will continue to contribute to the 2022 thread.

The link for the 2022 thread is: Plants, flowers and shrubs 2022; Share your photos here

https://community.rspb.org.uk/chat/f/the-tea-rooms/278997/plants-flowers-and-shrubs-2022-share-your-photos-here

• So, being the time of year for crocuses, some from Baddesley Clinton, a National Trust property to grab a few photos.

• A lovely splash of springtime colour Mike.