Plants, flowers and shrubs; Share your photos here

• Our grass is looking more and more like a meadow, I'll be devastated when it has to be cut.

More flowers appearing, a yellow poppy

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Lovely wildflowers, Mike, I am sure your pollinators are happy. I must have been asleep, but have only just heard about no-mow-May where it is suggested that we do not mow for the whole of May, allowing the flowers to bloom to feed insects which will help to feed our birds. Wish I could convince Mr GB to leave the lawn cutting for a month but he is obsessed with having a tidy garden!

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

Gardenbirder said:

Lovely wildflowers, Mike, I am sure your pollinators are happy. I must have been asleep, but have only just heard about no-mow-May where it is suggested that we do not mow for the whole of May, allowing the flowers to bloom to feed insects which will help to feed our birds. Wish I could convince Mr GB to leave the lawn cutting for a month but he is obsessed with having a tidy garden!

Thank you Ann.

No-mo-May has probably been an easy one for a good many, with all the rain we've been enjoying, or should that be 'enduring'....

But, all good things come to an end, and the gardener is calling Friday......

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• We're trying to get the pond side of the lawn to grow more wild flowers (without having to strip all the grass off the surface first.)

Yellow Rattle, if established, is parasitical to grasses and can help to reduce the grasses root system to allow a more friendly environment for wild flowers to flourish.

I raked the area vigorously last autumn and scattered a packet of around 400 Yellow Rattle seeds. A detailed inspection today found nine ... (yes nine) ... Yellow Rattle plants growing in there now.

EDIT: Looking back, it was actually three packets of seeds, so nine plants out of 1200 seeds .... thats a 0.75% germination rate.

It takes many small steps to complete a long journey.

This is the biggest plant so far.!! I'm so proud of it ...!!   :-)

My bird photos HERE

• In reply to Paul A:

Paul A said:

We're trying to get the pond side of the lawn to grow more wild flowers (without having to strip all the grass off the surface first.)

Yellow Rattle, if established, is parasitical to grasses and can help to reduce the grasses root system to allow a more friendly environment for wild flowers to flourish.

I raked the area vigorously last autumn and scattered a packet of around 400 Yellow Rattle seeds. A detailed inspection today found nine ... (yes nine) ... Yellow Rattle plants growing in there now.

EDIT: Looking back, it was actually three packets of seeds, so nine plants out of 1200 seeds .... thats a 0.75% germination rate.

It takes many small steps to complete a long journey.

This is the biggest plant so far.!! I'm so proud of it ...!!   :-)

Our pond land side edge has been left to nature, mainly because the netting over the pond is a pain to remove and refit for grass cutting, apart from that, nothing else has been done and wild daisies, buttercups and alsorts are thriving.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Might be worth sowing Yellow Rattle in seed trays PA, make your own plug plants to give them a better chance of success ... needs to be sown with grass seeds to act as host & kept out in the cold, below 5°C ... not too difficult where you live?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• My 1st flower from all the seeds I sowed in march....woohoo...very proud moment

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• What a beautiful Dahlia, I think. Well done on growing them from seed.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Mrs PB took a quick snap of our Japonica or summat or other!

• In reply to Catlady:

Thanks CL...yes it is..hopefully many more shall flower soon

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)