Plants, flowers and shrubs; Share your photos here

• My new wildflower patches are starting to come into their own

Cin J

• One of the things I've learned in the last 15 years or so is oxeye daisies....they don't half establish easily and spread everywhere. The biggest issue I have with them is they aren't the wildlife magnet I was hoping, even in large patches. Insects seem to prefer all the other options. They do look good in large clusters but I'm being much more ruthless with controlling it. Something must be pollinated it presumably (possibly moths at night?). Maybe I'm doing the gardening equivalent of putting every sort of bird food out and oxeyes are the 'cheap seed mix' that gets left until there aren't other options?
  • In reply to Robbo:

Robbo said:
    One of the things I've learned in the last 15 years or so is oxeye daisies....they don't half establish easily and spread everywhere. The biggest issue I have with them is they aren't the wildlife magnet I was hoping, even in large patches. Insects seem to prefer all the other options. They do look good in large clusters but I'm being much more ruthless with controlling it. Something must be pollinated it presumably (possibly moths at night?). Maybe I'm doing the gardening equivalent of putting every sort of bird food out and oxeyes are the 'cheap seed mix' that gets left until there aren't other options?

I see various things on Ox-eye when I'm out and about and this was a pretty expensive meadow mix - It's probably successful here because it likes my acidic soil and other stuff may be slower to germinate.  waiting to see what comes up from the other patches - I have to say I do love the cornflowers 

Cin J

• One of he lavender plants, planted May last year, is starting to show its purple flower heads.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Germain:

Oh, it grows well here too. Too well. Alkaline, clay soil. I just don't see much insect life on it. The garden is full of all the more common bumblebees, plus loads of different solitary bees, hoverflies, wasp species, hornets etc. Just no takers for oxeye flowers. At least, not when I'm looking. The insects prefer the perennials, the trees and shrubs, the foxgloves, poppies, teasel, lungwort, comfrey etc. Apart from perennial cornflowers which are also growing like weeds here, I'm not so successful cornflowers. Not sure why.
  • Beautiful colours on the Pansy, Cornflower and Bluebell, lilac/purple is my favourite colour, that look like it is going. be a healthy rose with the lovely green leaves.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Varieties of orchid on our residential parkland and I was delighted to find a Bee Orchid  :)      but need help with other IDs ................        

Bee Orchid ...........

Bee Orchid

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• A very recent visit to Baddesley Clinton, I've no idea of what orchid it is, but it looked like white tailed bumblebee having a good feed. It was too busy feeding for me to get a proper look at the tail

Any ID's gratefully received....

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

The flower with the bumblebee on is allium bulgaricum.
  • In reply to Robbo:

Robbo said:
    The flower with the bumblebee on is allium bulgaricum.

Thanks Robbo, that ties in with Hazel's ID.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler