Plants, flowers and shrubs; Share your photos here

As I sit here, on yet another dismal, wet and grey weekend, chomping away at some toast and marmalade Mrs PR has kindly done for me, along with a nice cuppa, and sorting through the few photos I've managed to grab so far this year, I think I recalled a thread some time back of plants or flowers people have seen, but couldn't find anything in the searches.

So, without further ado, I thought why not set a thread up for , where all can share their photos, not just in the wild, but the garden, local municipal parks, anywhere, because without these plants, there wouldn't be nature.

It's not unusual to see flowers virtually all year through, not because of global warming, climate change or whatever scenario you prefer to use, but because some plants are hardy and prefer to be winter borne. But for many, the first flowers they really see properly, are snowdrops in February, followed by crocuses (late February- Mach) and then the delightful daffodils (March/April)., bluebells (April time), and much more.

So lets put some colour back into the grey world, spring is coming, so here's a few to set things going.

February; snowdrops

February: Sweet Violet

March: the first daffs in bloom

March: always a sign that spring is on the way, the primrose

March; crocuses (from a local municipal park)

March; mini daffs in our garden

and some proper daffs in the garden, starting to bloom

BTW, I've seen my second bee of the year, having a nosey around the daffs above, the first was late Feb, the second was earlier today, but on both occasions, the weather wasn't right to get the camera out...

• We'll mount a search party with a team of peeps ready to dig you out! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Unknown said:
    not sure I will grow vegetables but what do you think about maybe this idea with butyl lined wooden base plant type boxes filled with bark chippings or stones and a water feature added

I think it’s a wonderful idea, Hazel. I love the look of the final picture you posted, it would be a mini haven for wildlife, regardless of it being fully enclosed on your balcony. Even without a garden, you know well enough that with a little imagination, work, and time, excellent micro-environments can be created.

Perhaps one of those water features that looks like a wee stone waterfall with a small pool for potential bathers? Or a more modern feature like the one in your photo would be just as nice?

As you say, it’s a blank canvas, and you’ll have a bit of time to think about it and to get it to how you want it. Seeing what you did in your old garden leaves me in no doubt that you’ll make an excellent job of it, whatever you decide to do.

As for herbs, if it was me I’d definitely have Wild Garlic, Chives (which the Bee’s love when they flower), and I wouldn’t be able to do without Mint (although I’d keep that in its own pot so it doesn’t run wild and take over everything.)

I’ll also tell you how I like to plant my Spring Onions, although I know you said that perhaps that would be too much. :-)

They could be planted in a small trough which wouldn’t take up much room.

I would plant them in staggered batches, perhaps every three weeks, for two or three months.

Plant 3 small bunches of around 12 seeds in 2inch square areas, with around 3 inches in-between bunches. Wait 3 weeks and do it again, and repeat another few times. Out of the individual bunches of 12 seeds planted, you could reasonably expect at least 8 or 9 to germinate and grow. They’ll grow in small tightly bunched together plants. Once the first bunch has grown to a size that you’re happy with, just pull them as a bunch, snip the roots and tops, and with a wee elastic band you’ll have a lovely bunch of Spring Onion to use, just the same as you’d buy in the supermarket. With the staggered sowing, you’ll have many months’ worth of fresh Spring Onions.

Oh dear, I think I may be going on a bit, but I do like my Spring Onions, and I know you hear people saying it, but you really can’t beat the taste and freshness of growing your own. :-)

My bird photos HERE

• Tony T said:
    Thanks for the insight Paul, as I've got plenty of garden infrastructure jobs replacing 20+yr old rotting wooden fencing I'll keep wild garlic on the back burner until winter time. I could put a pot some where in the garden but its something else to water along with plenty near the house.

It's always the way of it, there's always something needing done.

I often think of things I'd like to do, but it can be many months or years before anything gets done, if at all.!! :-)

My bird photos HERE

• That's really helpful Paul,  thanks for taking the time to give me some good ideas and with regards to the spring onions;   I love those too :)      I used to grow mint, rosemary, chives on occasion at the old place, always handy to nip out and snip a few fresh herbs for the dinner !    wild garlic will be on the list too.     As you say,  I'll take a look at different water features and maybe one birds could bathe in but not big enough for mallards  !!!  ............ not sure I want frogs on the balcony though;  they can live downstairs on the pond with the water-lilies   ha ha !! 

Regards, Hazel 

• Someone has been very busy!

And its looking good, worth the effort and hard work. Thumbsup

• On our first trip out to Burton Mere rspb yesterday,  it was awash with colour around the garden area planted with wildlflowers....

and Burton Pond with its expanse of cream coloured waterlilies 

I forgot to put these up from a couple of days ago showing the woodland area a few mins walk from our home  - couldn't think where else to place these photos ! ......

various mown grassed pathways lead around the woodland and pond areas.

one of the ponds ...

Regards, Hazel 

• Looking lovely Hazel, and a veritable riot of colour :o)
  • A huge expanse of RoseWillowFireBayHerbWeed or whatever you want to call it, in a local park

Nige   Flickr

• Nice sight of the Rosebaywillowherby thingy flowers Nigel. I thought its only a weed if it grows in the wrong place.
  • Thanks

Tony T said:
    I thought its only a weed if it grows in the wrong place.

I suppose all wildflowers are weeds ... or more accurately all weeds are unplanned wildflowers. Not being a gardener, I actually like dandelions - beautiful yellow flowers and great for getting bees in early Spring! Easy to grow, too Slight smile

Nige   Flickr