Add your miscellaneous photos or stories here

Rather than going off topic on other threads,  thought it may be better to create a general "miscellaneous" thread where you can add your stories or pics that are either memorable to you or pics you want to share with forum members;   they don't have to relate specifically to wildlife (as on Odds & Sods thread)  as Tea Rooms is for general chat/pics as long as you follow community acceptable guidelines !    

To start it off I'll transfer over a few pics I put up for Wendy..............

@ Wendy,   I wasn't into photography back in my Aussie days and can't find the happy snappy pics except for these.....

For Mick...…...a pic of Glen McGrath

Pre-match preparations  !    and junk food  lol 

Regards, Hazel 

• I should imagine there would be plenty to see in Alaska, both scenery and wildlife, so have a good trip.

Nige   Flickr

• Hope you have a lovely time Ann, look forward to seeing the photos, take care from those biggggg Grizzlies and the Moose antlers!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thanks to all for your good wishes on our move to our new home;    as some of you were asking,  I thought this was the most suitable place to update you on how things went and are going although we're only on our 3rd day and still lots to sort out on this new canvas.  Lockdown certainly started at the worst possible time for us and two days before legal completion but considering how badly other folk have suffered either with tragic loss or unemployment we cannot and should not complain.  

So,  this is how we are starting life in the new apartment .............  lol                  (all photos taken on mobile)  

Two comfy "Stressless" chairs     ha ha !       One mini step ladder acting as a coffee table  !

Good news is the carpets should not be too long,  hopefully within a couple of weeks :)     heard yesterday that the window blinds will be fitted on Wednesday so things are improving all the time now restrictions are easing slightly.   More difficult thing to organise are three of the modern long radiators (you can see one in the above pic)  have to come off the wall if we want to put wallpaper on that one feature wall so trying to smile nicely at the developer to see if they can assist !    As they all have water now running through them it will be more challenging and I prefer the builder does it rather than a plumber not familiar with the construction.     

Ok,  I can hear you saying "how could you give up that lovely garden you had before for an apartment"   !!      Believe me, it wasn't an easy decision to leave our last house and garden after 9 years but nobody gets any younger and the work of almost an acre garden with pond was getting a bit much for this 64 and almost 76 year old so we had to find the next best solution.    Secure apartment, good views, parkland setting, surrounded by nature, water garden feature in front ..... 

View from the huge balcony 

mature coniferous trees with plenty of birds around including Goldcrests !      Eventually we will have a bit of a garden on here although more pressing things will have to come first.

The naturally fed water feature out front already has dragonflies and damselflies (although I've yet to get a decent photo as they whizz around ! )

There are water-lilies, established plants, shrubs and although the water is still being worked on, clearing some pond weed, debris, etc.,  it will have a repaired fountain and carp fish added to it,   not sure if they said lighting.      Whilst they are working on it I'm going to ask if it is possible to add a couple of wooden benches to the path that runs around the edge of the water !      

Next is part of the park/woodland surrounding this area of new development  (there are several new builds from 3 developers ongoing with houses and mews type properties)     This wooded area and many pathways is only five mins from our home.............

The bird song was lovely;   on this first recce I could hear thrushes, wrens, robins, goldcrests and there are other birds in the area like Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers, various corvids, Buzzards, ducks, geese, woodpigeon, etc....      

In the woodland there are numerous habitats for birds with streams, ponds and plenty of shrubbery, wildflowers .....including Foxgloves and ferns

even a stone bridge 

log pile for insects and bugs  !        We have further to venture another day as this was only a brief look round but I will need an ordnance survey map to find my way around the many public rights of way.  

Back to the water garden area out front of our home .................

some sort of leaf cutter bee or something  !!      will need to get a more in focus shot next time.      It was carrying pollen in its leg pockets  ! 

and a bad pic of a dragonfly darting hither and thither  !!      possible a Southern Hawker but can't tell from such a bad pic  !!

I promise to do better despite my challenging current vision  LOL       there were blue damsels but these had vanished by the time I came downstairs to the waterside.

male Chaffinch watching me from the garden area 

Then it was time to conquer all fear of the new appliances and do my best to set them up and try cook dinner  !!    you would not believe the menu/programmes on these state of the art gadgets  -   I feel I'm getting too old for technology which connects appliances to wi-fi,  (which I haven't set ! )   why is nothing simple any more   LOL

I had to take a stool into the adjoining laundry room so I could sit down whilst I set up the washing machine and tumble drier  -  I now refer to the laundry area as the reading library   LOL  I need the patience of a saint to set up all the multiple hi-tech gizmos.

Anyway,   I managed to heat up a pre homecooked minced beef/chilli and veg dish that I'd defrosted on first night and then cheated and bought a Charlie Bighams Thai Red chicken curry/rice on the 2nd night and steamed a few veg (induction hob which is also new to me but a good excuse for a new set of saucepans ! )      .............

best of all was the go with   !!        Cheers my dears :) ............... I'll keep you updated as we become more acquainted with the new place and surroundings.

Btw,  mine is the wine glass on right with a modicum of wine ...............and no I hadn't drunk any from the glass before this photo   LOL 

Regards, Hazel 

• The new place and area looks lovely, Hazel.
    You could have some large raised beds on the balcony, potatoes, onions, cabbages, lettuce ...... or not.!! ;-)

My bird photos HERE

• Wow Hazy, so pleased you have moved in & things can only get better. Logically the radiators should be self isolating so they can be drained individually, but then maybe they are connected to the WiFi too! LOL The pond & woods look wonderful & I'm very envious. I enjoy gardening but rarely have sufficient time, always too many other things to do. Now you can go where you want, when you want.
    I'd be lost in your kitchen & "reading room", give me simple anytime.
    Good luck with it all & hope your carpets comme soon.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Great update aitch, all looks very lovely & so good to have beautiful woodland walks just a stone's throw away ... look forward to some of your usual wildlife pics x

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Wow, that looks amazing. The kitchen is so hi-tech no wonder you were a bit overwhelmed. The views from the balcony are gorgeous and with all the lovely woodland on your doorstep it looks like a bit of paradise.
    Glad you finally made it after all the ups and downs since you decided to move.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Wow Hazel, what a fabulous garden, plenty of opportunity for photographing wildlife close to your door.

• So glad Hazel that you and Mike have at last moved into your new abode. A big change for you but as you say, you have to think of the future and non of us are getting younger! It looks lovely, everything all shiny and new, not to mention the all singing and dancing appliances that will do everything for you, once you set them up that is! It will take you a wee while to get the blinds, carpets, furniture and all that you have in storage sorted out, but when you eventually do and are all settled, it will have been all worth while. You have lots of place to go to and look at, the lovely water feature and the woodland walks. I am sure it will not be too long before you are making new feathered friends. We can all come and have a ceilidh on that balcony! Looking forward to the next installment.

Wishing you both much joy, happiness and good health in your new home. CL x

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Many thanks everyone,  we are really loving it here although early days and before possibility of a premier footballer moving in on lower level !   We do have a restriction of no noise after 11pm but it will be interesting to see who keeps to it  !    As for a ceilidh on the balcony -   bring it on Catlady,  I'll provide the food and drink, you bring the bagpipes and Gaynor can bring the Uke;  I might be able to play the spoons on my new saucepans  lol      I'll update once we get a bit of time from sorting bits and bobs out;    I'm on coffee break at the moment and have to keep the whip cracking on Mike   ha ha ! 

Regards, Hazel