My Local RSPB Groups 50th Anniversary Dinner This Evening

Tonight is a very important evening for the Newcastle Upon Tyne RSPB Group of which I’m a member and have been for 6 years by the end of March of this year and the Newcastle Group will be celebrating 50 years since the Newcastle RSPB Group was formed in 1969 and the Newcastle RSPB Group are are the 4th oldest RSPB Group in excistence of the 140 plus RSPB Groups today. The first 4 RSPB Groups where formed in 1969 of which The Newcastle Group where among those 4 Groups formed that year. The guest speaker tonight is Peter Holden MBE. So I’m really looking forward to tonight.

• Have a lovely evening Thomo, let's us know how you get on.
  • Should be an interesting evening Ian,you have a good speaker lined up.I started my serious birding back in 1957 so like many others I've clocked a few miles up so far
  • Well, I arrived home just 5 minutes ago from Newcastle using the local Tyne and Wear Metro. The 50th anniversary dinner was excellent and the vegetarian options I had tonight was excellent. Also there was a birthday cake as well and I was very naughty as I had some birthday cake, despite having Diabetes Type 2. But it was a one off, so I treat myself. Then there where presentations to some of the member of the Newcastle RSPB Group by Peter Holden for long service as volunteers with the Newcastle RSPB Group which was nice. Then Peter Holden gave quite a light hearted talk about bird behaviour which was very interesting and also how long certain birds live comparing the longest and shortest average live spans of certain birds and why the difference and productivity of certain bird species such as how many types of old birds have young and how many eggs certain birds have from just 1 egg each year and some birds will lots of eggs with quite a few different broods each season. He also spoke about how successful different types of young bird survival rate differ between birds, and the different type of young birds that where better at surviving than other bird species and vice versa. Peter Holden’s knowledge of birds is amazing and sadly the fantastic evening flew by so very quickly. It’s an evening I will never forget,

• This is what the Newcastle RSPB Group members who attended the 50th anniversary received  dinner last night, received. This Robin Gold Pin Badge can be bought from the RSPB but is quite limited in this Gold Pin Badge.

• Good to hear that you had a lovely night out and the talks and food were good, even the naughty piece of birthday cake!
  • Glad it was a good evening Ian 50 yrs is worth celebrating. As a big kid who has still never grown up I still find the RSPB bird badges interesting although I do tend to only buy raptor ones now as my birding jackets are full up !!. The gold Robin is a great reminder of your evening.