Bad pics of fab wildlife - part 2!

  • Pied Flycatcher .... I think juv.  but never managed to get a decent photo, as it was in my garden I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will stick around and feed up for a few days 

    CinJ

    Cin J

  • grey cloudy day and a silhouette of a Swallow taking off -   thought it showed the wing length well and to show what wingspan they need to cross the Sahara  !     

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Regards, Hazel 

    "Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

  • In reply to HAZY:

    Bad Pics??? That's a stunner Hazel, as you say, the wing detail is beautiful :o)
  • In reply to HAZY:

    HAZY said:

    grey cloudy day and a silhouette of a Swallow taking off -   thought it showed the wing length well and to show what wingspan they need to cross the Sahara  !     

    Did someone click on the wrong thread! 

    That's a fabulous photos Hazel 

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • lol PB and Mike, you're being a little too kind but appreciate it ! I'll try a few more pics when we have a blue sky back and see if I can nail a more decent shot showing facial detail. Just thinking we could save these types of shots and then silhouette them out completely for people to "guess the bird" in a new quiz - only I think the streamers on this bird would give it away lol

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Regards, Hazel 

    "Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

  • Time is running out to get a decent Swallow in flight this year. I seem to have the same issue as even when I managed to get one in focus over the weekend, it lacked facial detail. 

    __________

    Nige   Flickr

  • lol Nige, I'd love that shot in place of mine and I'd also like that blue sky !
    I always find birds with dark faces like swallows, great tit, coal tit, etc, are often so difficult to highlight their finer facial features (even when tweaking the over exposure slider a tad more on flight shots)  - they all get lost in the black plumage !

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Regards, Hazel 

    "Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

  • In reply to HAZY:

    HAZY said:
    lol PB and Mike, you're being a little too kind but appreciate it ! I'll try a few more pics when we have a blue sky back and see if I can nail a more decent shot showing facial detail. Just thinking we could save these types of shots and then silhouette them out completely for people to "guess the bird" in a new quiz - only I think the streamers on this bird would give it away lol

    I'm being honest, as I'm sure PB is.

    I'd doubt a pro would get a much clearer photo, especially as you were shooting into the light, so the swallow will look darker, but you managed to get the light showing through the wings perfectly, and the swallow was crisp clear.

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • In reply to Nigel O:

    Nigel O said:

    Time is running out to get a decent Swallow in flight this year. I seem to have the same issue as even when I managed to get one in focus over the weekend, it lacked facial detail. 

    It's run out for me, the swallows around probably flew out while we were in Wales.

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • In reply to HAZY:

    You're right that black faces are tricky and you really need to get catchlight in the eye (I know Jim loves catchlights too!) but I was disappointed that not even the red throat showed. It's also been highly cropped which is why I didn't try too hard to lighten it (and, personally, I don't like the halo effect you can sometimes create as a side-effect, where the sky around the subject is noticeably lighter).
    Mike, here, the swallows haven't left just yet, but many do seem to have gone up on the moors where there are currently swarms of late upland insects. I suppose they'll soon be off, though.

    __________

    Nige   Flickr