Advice for an Injured Tawny Owl

I found a Tawny Owl in the road this morning (22/07/11), I think it was just stunned. I plan to give it a safe haven to rest for the day and see if it will fly this evening.

It is currently residing in a cardboard box.

It has moved its wings at the shoulders and gripped my finger with both feet. It has no visible abnormalities. It has both regurgitated and defecated without blood, turned it's head and opened its eyes. But it is so lethargic it could be tame, it made no resistance to being picked up.

Any experienced rescue advice appreciated!

• Hope this finds contributors who helped with the thread of the found Tawney...guess what, just brought home and put in a cat box to rest, a Tawney that flew into an artic lorry! The one I was driving and to make me feel even worse, it hit the cab with such a bang, after I had slowed right down to take a sharp turn.

Anyhow, drove back to the locus as I couldn't see Old Brown but managed to find he or she, hasn't confirmed pronouns yet, and have brought home for some R & R.

Like the thread, couldn't find any damage and Old B is just chillin in a nice quiet shed in the cat box! 3x dogs were most interested and thankfully, transfer to cat box from my work fleece was done without so much as a nip, ..from the dogs either!

Will keep this page/thread open to see if anyone is aware of my post as I'm happy for any additional advice....I'm not feeling as sick as the parrot I did or as torn up as I thought Old B Tawney was! Phew...off to bed now after long shift but will be back ASAP aftwr prayers for Old B.
  • Hi there,      Try using THIS LINK to search for the nearest appropriate wildlife rescue to your location.       or call for advice from The Barn owl Trust via THIS LINK