Hello. Advice on tit box pls

Hi,

I have a small courtyard garden. In late January/early February I put up a tit box next to the kitchen door under a small balcony. The steps to the balcony run from the garden up to our living room door.  We put the box at the correct height and in no direct sun, it’s quite sheltered from the elements being under the smalll balcony. We don’t use the balcony or steps. There isa clear flight path to the entrance.  We have some peanuts up in a feeder. I read somewhere that it is not a good idea to have one up near nest box due to territorial behaviour. I’ve only ever seen the vets using the feeder. Before no I’ve not seen it used by any birds.
We don’t use the steps or balcony. The kitchen door isn’t used that much, only 2 of us living here. We have a table and chairs in the Garden, but so far this year we have not used them. The postman uses the kitchen door, but in March we put the sign up saying that birds are nesting in the garden and to keep noise to a minimum.

a couple of weeks ago I saw a great tit enter and leave the box a times over approximately a couple of days.

shortly after I saw a pair of blue tits with moss in their beaks visiting the box. I cant be sure but I might have seen one of them leaving the box with some nesting material

the last few days I have seen no activity at the box. 

I have some questions -

I’ve only ever seen both the great tit and blue tit pair visit early mornings 7:39_8 .30 am approx. Is there any significance to this?

I’m pretty sure that’s the great tits was just checking the box out. Is it possible a pair of blue tits could drive away a great tit?

do blue tits ever start making a nest, take a break for a few days then resume making nest?

Not sure what’s going on. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome….

Thanks 

Scottt

• Sounds as if the nest box is too near your door, even though you say not used much, but any movement or noise so near will be offputting!  You can only watch to see if any more nesting attempts are still ongoing as it is illegal to interfere with an active nest!  Seems as if you should find a better location for this box after end of September!

Do let us know if there is a successful nest this year?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Yes, I think that’s the problem, although we gave friends who have great tits successfully nesting for the second year in a box just above the back door into the garden. And they have two young kids and the dog!

• The cold snap could be playing a part. Could also be other nest site options in the area, and if there's competition at your site, one or both species could end up putting each other off. Site close to door is a possible problem, but not had that here, and the blue tits this year have gone back to the box next to the back door in preference to the better quality, better sited box just down the garden.