Advice for an Injured Tawny Owl

I found a Tawny Owl in the road this morning (22/07/11), I think it was just stunned. I plan to give it a safe haven to rest for the day and see if it will fly this evening.

It is currently residing in a cardboard box.

It has moved its wings at the shoulders and gripped my finger with both feet. It has no visible abnormalities. It has both regurgitated and defecated without blood, turned it's head and opened its eyes. But it is so lethargic it could be tame, it made no resistance to being picked up.

Any experienced rescue advice appreciated!

• What you are doing at the moment is great - I would do as you are at the moment and see if the bird recovers by the evening.  It is likely that the owl is suffering from shock which would make the bird appear lethargic and easy to pick up.  If the owl has recovered by the evening I'd take him close to where he was found and release him, if not you will need to find a local wildlife rescue shelter because there could be internal problems.  It may be worth phoning them now firstly because they can offer you more advice and secondly it will mean that they are aware that they could have a new patient if the owl hasn't recovered sufficiently.

• Thank you. I phoned the local vet..., and fortunately one of their nurses breeds raptors so we are off to see her when her afternoon shift starts. I assume she will want to mother him/her. I'll take her advice or pass Tawny over to more capable hands.

• Oh that's good!  At least he will be in good hands, fingers crossed he gets a speedy release back into the wild!

• At noon SHE was examined by the nurse, and was apparently intact, though a little undernourished. The nurse is kindly going to try to feed her up for a few days before releasing her. She was strong enough to struggle when examined and 'Tut' in disgust. The nurse gives her a 30% chance....

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 22/08/2011 22:05 in reply to Xrat

Fingers crossed for her and well done you for taking the time to help her.

• You did the right things

Hope it survives       Ray

a good laugh is better than a tonic

• Good to hear she is being taken care of, hopefully she will soon be built up ready to return home :-)

• My thanks to all of you with an interest.

The Tawny Owl has now been passed to a raptor rescue centre, where the gent advised, "It's very difficult to sex a Tawny, but this is very typical behaviour for a male. They sit somewhere and sulk. When they do they typically refuse to move, are easy to pick up and handle, are very quick to tame, and become very lazy. (Yes, we know what you're thinking ladies, thank you!) They then become difficult to reintroduce to the wild."

His advice, for future refrence, is to, "Move it somewhere safer if you have to, like the branch of a nearby tree, a wall or fence-post. Then leave it." He has had six brought in this week! It will be released as soon it has passed it's medical with the vet. (Which may be a few weeks.) I'll let you know.

• I'm sorry I missed this when you first posted but you have done all the right things - well done!

As for "sexing" you are getting the fight info that it is very difficult without DNA testing. The only other sure indication is the laying of eggs! ;-)

I often have Tawnies brought in and at this time of year an undernourished bird is either a youngster who hasn't quite 'got' the hunting bit or an older bird with an underlying disease such as aspergillosis - neither have very good ultimate outcomes I'm afraid.

Good luck

Jenni

God gave us two ears and one mouth for a very good reason!

• Fortunately this Tawny lived to fight another day, it was  released back into the wild (a little fatter) near to where it had been found.

Thanks all.