Bird bath water turns red

I have a large stone bird Bath but the water is turning red, any ideas of how I can stop this?

• How long have you had the bath? Is this the first year that you have had it turn red? 

• Jayar said:

I have a large stone bird Bath but the water is turning red, any ideas of how I can stop this?

It could be 'Haematococcus pluvialis' an algae that turns the water a ruddish colour, particularly with aid  of the sun's ultraviolet rays.

To add to Bob's question, is the stone glazed or not?

• I have only had for few weeks as inherited from my mum, who also had this problem but she had stones in and put it down to that

the bath is unglazed

• Jayar said:

I have only had for few weeks as inherited from my mum, who also had this problem but she had stones in and put it down to that

the bath is unglazed

Probably the best option is to flush the bird bath with fresh water and regularly change the water.

DO NOT USE BLEACH OR ANY OTHER DOMESTIC/INDUSTRIAL/COMMERCIAL CLEANSING CHEMICALS/AGENTS, HARM COULD RESULT TO BIRDS AND WILDLIFE USING THE BIRD BATH.

Many birds will bathe in it, drink the water and even dunk food in to make it more digestible, all creating a recipe for microorganisms to thrive.

Mine is glazed, I do get some algae, but the bird bath is flushed out almost daily and replenished with freshwater. It doesn't remove the problem, but does help to reduce the opportunity for algae to establish itself and help reduce spreading infection.

I don't know if anyone else has any recommendations for cleaning a bird bath.

• Unglazed stuff? Empty it. Keep it empty (turn it upside down for a year or two).

In that position it'll live a new life, being a refuge for beetles, and other bugs. It could also attract molluscs (snails and slugs), but some beetles prey on those.