Robins building nest - how do I avoid the cat getting them?

We have noticed two busy robins are currently in and out of our log store with leaves etc. We have assumed they are building a nest. 

This is no problem to us, we want to avoid at all costs our cat and neighbours cats getting them.

Ideally,  we could do to put a piece of wood over the front to enclose where their nest will be and leave a small gap for the to fly in and out of but I’m worried we’ll disturb them.

Please can someone advise? 

Thanks 

Lucy 

• A difficult issue Lucy but one thing is clear ... if they are already building a nest then it is against the law to interfere in any way!  One thing cats hate is the smell of Lavendar, maybe you could quietly stand some pots of it in front of the log store ... there are other plants that deter cats 

www.primrose.co.uk/.../

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• No I totally understand that and the reason we don’t want to cover is to avoid disturbing them,  we do both work at home and so it may just be that we keep our cat in at night for the next 4/5 weeks and sit downstairs where we can see them! It would just be so upsetting for the cat to discover them! 
    I think we are going to put a bird box next to the log store to encourage that as I feel they would be safer and we’ll pop some food out for them. I think we have to leave nature to work its magic! 
    the lavender tip is good I will invest in some tomorrow! 
    thank you 

• Worth a try Lucy and Fingers crossedthe Robins successfully raise a brood and then use the nestbox although they do like it to be in foliage for added security ... you need to look at the positioning  very carefully to be safe from cat predation ... I had a robin box nestled in clematis montana, four eggs and made a stupid mistake of having a hedgehog house fairly near, the cat just sat on top and reached the nestbox!!!  So sad as the eggs were abandoned!  Not even my cat!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Oh gosh, that’s devastating! But, we can only do so much. It’s harder really when you know about it! 
    thanks for responding and for the tips! We will try our best and I’ll try and update the post! 
    Thank you 

• Be good to hear from you!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Suggestion that works well for me is using tall expandable willow trellis to enclose / close off certain areas. I connect several 1.8m  trellis together using rubber plant ties and then tie to shorter poles in ground, ensuring slight slack in the trellis so not completely taut and can wobble slightly.  Neighbourhood cats have been unable to get a purchase to climb as being a trellis it has gaps and not solid wood they can get their claws into and by leaving it slightly wobbly they've also been unable to run and launch themselves up over it.  My little garden birds (robins, dunnocks, tits, blackbirds...) happily flit in and out the gaps in the trellis and often also peck off insects attracted to the willow.  When I need to access the area eg. to refill bird feeder, I simply undo the couple of rubber ties I have connecting one of the trellis to a pole and gently push back the expandable trellis, then re-tie again once done.

• Thanks Accentor for the tips. I’m currently keeping my eye on the situation as they don’t seem to have been back today so wonder if they have felt a threat and moved on? If they do return I’ll definitely be off to the shops for supplies. Thank you 

• Last year, I had an issue with Magpies, and I fitted a grille with 5cm square openings at the entrance to protect the nest. The Robins could get in and out but the Magpie could not. 

The nest was safe and 3 chicks fledged, so it was successful.

I'll do the same again if the Robins nest this year.

• N.b. I wouldn’t be leaving food near the nest. It would attract other birds near to the site, and attract attention from predators.