Nightjar Conservation Status

Hi Everyone!

Wondering whether anybody can help me understand the current conservation status of nightjars please:

The RSPB website currently shows the conservation status of Nightjars as "UK Conservation Status Not Assessed" but the BTO indicate the UK Conservation status is amber?  Nightjars are listed on UK Birds of Conservation Concern 5 as Amber status.  Could anybody shed any light on the reasons for different listings please - is it due to migratory status?

Many thanks

• SophieS said:
    Hi Linda, Ian & Mike

Many thanks for your replies and taking the time.

It is the conservation status of nightjars in particular - though all input is appreciated.

I monitor wildlife on a large countryside estate, with a focus on birds as indicators of how our habitat management and biodiversity net gain activities are performing.

This summer I'm reasonably sure we heard nightjars on site, but they were not captured on our recording equipment and were not sighted. For next year, I would like to include specific monitoring for nightjar in our annual plan. The landowner has asked me to clairfy the conservation status of the species so our records are accurate (using a suitable source/reference) - which is when I hit the discrepancy mentioned in the original post.

Thanks
    S

It may be that you need to do your own local research. With nightjars being predominantly nocturnal, that can make things more challenging.

I think possibly the best starting point could be something like a thermal imaging scope, or night vision scope.

There is quite a difference, and my limited experience of thermal scopes is, they are more sensitive in picking up heat sources, but the final images are often bleached out, whereas night vision is not quite so sensitive, but clearer.

The thermal scope will identify areas of potential interest, and night vision will confirm, and of course, some night shift work.....

Not cheap I know, but I think for yourself and estate monitoring purposes, that would probably be the best way forward.

• My local RSPB  Group every year iIn June visit an area in North East England where Nightjars nest/breed. Warning! Midgeas are a big problem when it gets dark and Midgie Bites. To protect myself after dark I wear a net covering around my head and neck. Also I wear long sleeved clothing ever if it’s hot weather. Otherwise when you return home you could well be scratching yourself after those bites. You can also buy various sprays and cream to protect yourself as well. If going with an organised group, expect a late night. All the members of my RSPB Group every year on out visit to see the Nightjars in June depart for home around 11.30pm. Also Nightjars tend not to come out at dusk if there’s continuous heavy rain. Also everyone in my RSPB take a torch. As it is very dark at 11.30pm when my local group departs along footpaths in woodland/forest back to the small car park to return home.
    Here is a recording of Nightjars in the link below. Recording not made by me and not in North East England! Also you can hear the churring sound that is the sound of the Nightjar. Every year on out annual visit in North East England(with hopefullyno rain) the first signs of the Nightjars are the sounds of churring at dusk. Then you can see the Nightjars flying around at dusk!
    youtu.be/bINnZWBivX0

Regards,

Ian.

• www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/.../

https://www.mainenightjar.com/post/nightjar-folklore

Going way way back and also in the UK. The Nightjar has had some myths and mystical legends about the Nightjar also known as the Goatsucker and the Copse Fowl. Also there lots of myths and Folklore as well about the Nightjar.Two articles above with linksabout how the myths and folklore of the Nightjar probably came about. Of course all untrue.

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks Mike, that's a great idea. Either night vision or thermal would also help us better monitor other difficult to record seasonal visitors to the site like jack snipe, and the influx of woodcock in winter - so the expense would perhaps be more justifable. I have a dozen or so trail cameras out on badger setts, fox dens etc. which work at night, but their static position requires birds to cooperatively wander past!

I've been looking at entry level thermal scopes and night vision equipment on NHBS website. From your experience is there any particular type/brand you might recommend please?

Many thanks
    S
  • Hi Folks - as suggested by Ian I have now asked the same question via RSPB social media channels in the hopes a staff member might see it. No reply as yet (+3 days but I guess they recieve loads of enquiries). If an answer is forthcoming I will share it on here!

Or perhaps they don't know either and our mystery will remain...! :)
  • SophieS said:
    Thanks Mike, that's a great idea. Either night vision or thermal would also help us better monitor other difficult to record seasonal visitors to the site like jack snipe, and the influx of woodcock in winter - so the expense would perhaps be more justifable. I have a dozen or so trail cameras out on badger setts, fox dens etc. which work at night, but their static position requires birds to cooperatively wander past!

I've been looking at entry level thermal scopes and night vision equipment on NHBS website. From your experience is there any particular type/brand you might recommend please?

Many thanks
    S

I'm still very much a novice when it comes to night vision (NV) and thermal imaging (TI), though I am playing around with it.

I can share what I have found out, which isn't a lot, but is, if it doesn't seem contradictory. The first thing I found out, and still the case is the last time I looked, no NV or TI has autofocus. The reason for that is the focus beam requires a minimum amount of light (which will vary depending on the quality of the manufacturers specifications), therefore it will not work under normal nighttime conditions. So it's either manual or fixed focus. Trailcams use fixed focus, that I understand is like no focusing, all viewed through optic quality clear lens. I've probably described in a confusing way, so my apologies.

I personally use a pair of Bushnell Equinox Z 4x50 (no longer in production) and a SiOnyx Aurora, both quite basic and the optimum range is quite short. The Bushnell is peaks out at 300 mtrs while the SiOnyx 100 mtrs. That might seem poor, but it could be me, and not the optics I'm using, I am still very much a novice. 

My advice would be locate an outlet within reasonable travelling distance, talk to the experts face to face and get some hands on. If it's not too far to travel, then any questions or things you want to look into, it's not a mega drive, which can be tedious at the best of times.

There may be some good photographic and optic outlets that can help, though most tend to be ordinary scopes and binoculars for daytime use.

As for brands, stick with reputable names, there are plenty of big names that venture into that world. It may be costly, but often you get what you pay for.

But above all, find a reputable outlet not too far from your base, get talking to those in the know and get some hands on with the various optics available.

I hope that helps somewhat.